The Cast List Is Up For Unique Production From USAO Drama Dept.

Alicia Working

Students of all majors auditioned last week for the USAO Theatre department’s Spring Production. This production is unique; it will be a Festival of One Acts showcasing six 30 minute productions directed by students, alumni and Katie Davis.

Katie Davis, associate professor of theatre arts, said, “These six productions are all supporting the curriculum giving students the chance to develop skills they are learning in the classroom into a public format. Students from the Directing class will be directing and assistant directing. Students from the Postmodernism class chose to the scripts to represent influences of modern to postmodern theatre. There will also be one student written script featured form the Playwriting class.”

The Festival will run for two weekends presenting three one-acts per evening starting at 7pm, so each one-act will have the opportunity to run twice.

Senior theatre major Dillon Pierce talks about getting to direct.

“This production is different from anything I have done thus far in our program. Students haven’t gotten much input in the past and this is a great opportunity for students because they are in control. We have never done anything on this scale and I am thrilled to show what our department can do.“

The Festival will be mainly student run. Davis will oversee each production and direct one of the six one-acts, an original script written by senior theatre student Brian Coburn.

“I met with each director and planned each rehearsal schedule so that none conflict to give the opportunity for each director to use the stage space and so I can be a ready resource for each director”, said Davis.