The Student News Site of University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma

The Trend

The Trend

The Trend

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

The Trend (@thetrendusao) • Instagram photos and videos

Facebook

USAO Doubled CCC’s Score with Ease

Laura Barrios Bardi
Crystal Ortiz and Lainey Morrow cheer on their team during a big moment against CCC.

USAO women’s basketball (17-9, 13-7 SAC) traveled to Oklahoma City University (OCU) Saturday Feb. 17, where they left a huge gap in the scoreboard, defeating the Stars by 38 points (94-56). The Drovers then traveled back home for their matchup against Central Christian College (CCC) (5-21, 1-19 SAC) to try and continue their win streak to finish out the season.   

Setting the stage in the first quarter, USAO scored 23 points compared to CCC’s eight. However, the nine assists produced by the Drover offense might be more impressive than the 14-point lead. USAO made ten field goals in the first quarter so that means only one of those field goals went unassisted. Four out of the five starters for USAO scored with senior guard Jordan Bloomfield hitting three three-pointers.  

In the second quarter, CCC put more points on the board with 16 points. USAO still prevailed on the Tigers’ sudden rush in offense, scoring 22 of their own with junior forward Crystal Ortiz leading the way with eight points, making her total for the game at halftime 12. At halftime the Drovers held a lead of 45-24.  

USAO came out of the locker room and immediately went back to work, scoring 22 points in the third quarter. The Drovers also held CCC to just six points in the quarter where they only made two out of their 15 attempted field goals and two points from free-throws. The stat that shines in the third quarter and throughout the game for the Drovers is rebounds. USAO had 17 rebounds in the third quarter alone and had 11 rebounds in each of the previous two quarters.  

Fourth quarter action consisted of more dominance from USAO just about everywhere on the floor. With 31 points in the quarter on 56.5% shooting, the Drovers doubled CCC’s score by the end of the game with a final score of 98-49.  

Ten out of 12 players scored for the Drovers tonight with five being in double digits. Junior guard Diaka Berete led the way in scoring with 20 points along with eight rebounds and seven assists. Ortiz had a solid 18 points and six rebounds.  

Senior forward Lainey Morrow recorded a double-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds, seven of those being offensive rebounds. Morrow currently sits at fourth in the SAC in points per game, averaging 16.4. 

“It’s really important to get offensive rebounds because it gives you an extra possession, and when you’re in a close game a possession can be the difference in winning and losing. Even though the game tonight wasn’t close, you still have to do your job and that’s something my team expects me to do,” Morrow said after the game.  

The Drover’s next matchup is Saturday Feb. 24 at 2 p.m. for senior day against Langston University (22-5, 17-4 SAC).  

“We will prepare how we prepare for every other game. It’s a matter of showing up and staying locked in and focused.  I think we’re a good matchup for Langston and I think we are ready to win on Saturday,” Morrow said on how they team will prepare for Saturday.  

Matthew Yokum is a second-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.

Ray Thomas-Lapham