USAO Plays Third Conference Game Against TWU

Isaline+Jacqucemyn+swings+her+arm+back+to+deliver+a+kill+against+a+SCU+earlier+in+the+season.+
Laura Barrios Bardi
Isaline Jacqucemyn swings her arm back to deliver a kill against a SCU earlier in the season.

USAO’s volleyball team (4-3, 1-2 SAC) played their second consecutive away game Thursday, Sept. 7 against Texas Wesleyan University (TWU) (8-3, 3-0 SAC). Three sets were played before TWU picked up their fifth win in a row.

USAO picked up the first point in set one off a kill by Isaline Jacqucemyn. After the first point, TWU went on short runs to bump the score to 9-2. USAO responded with four points of their own. The set ended 25-13, in TWU’s advantage. Alongside Jacqucemyn, Giselle Calderon, Samantha Perez, and Gabrielle Gunnoe each picked up kills in set one. Kalaya Pierce also earned a service ace.

The second and third sets had similar ends, with TWU winning 25-12 and 25-13. USAO totaled 14 kills compared to TWU’s 45 kills. Perez and Gunnoe led USAO’s kill column with three each; Victoria Southerland, Bruna Duarte, and Jacqucemyn followed closely with two kills each.

The Drovers tallied 14 aces and two service aces. Pierce earned ten aces herself, while Madison Garcia, Soleil Trejo, Andrea Maldonado earned the remaining four. Pierce led USAO’s dig column with eight of the 29 recorded. Southerland followed with six.

As a team, the Drovers recorded eight blocks. Perez had three block assists and one single block; Duarte recorded two block assists and one single block.

The Drovers will play away again Saturday, Sept. 9 at 1 p.m. against Southwestern Assemblies of God University (SAGU). USAO will be back in the Drover Fieldhouse Tuesday, Sept. 12 at 6 p.m. against Langston University.

Emily Loughridge is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.