USAO Strived for Success at Ford Mastin Twilight

Laura Barrios Bardi
Sophomore Daylen Huff crosses the finish line at the University of Oklahoma early this season.

USAO’s track and field team competed at the Ford Mastin Twilight Thursday, Apr. 18. This was their second meet of the season at Oklahoma Baptist University (OBU) and showcased some phenomenal performances from the men’s and women’s teams.  

The men’s team primarily focused on the short sprints at this meet, with sophomore Daylen Huff leading the way on the 100-meter dash. Huff had a top ten finish in the race, as he took eighth place with his time of 11.30.  

The Drover’s saw the most success on the men’s side in the 200-meter dash as three individuals finished in the top ten fastest times. Senior Quintin Pennells led the way for USAO after recording a blistering quick time of 21.90. This performance got him on the podium, as he took third place and recorded his best time of this season. Shortly behind him was junior Aarin Simon, who also saw his season best time with 22.35 seconds and fifth place overall.  

Huff earned himself another top ten finish with the 200-meter dash after he ran 23.11 and took the tenth spot overall. Right behind him was sophomore Hunter DeWall and he placed 11th with his run of 23.25. Both Keller brothers finished in 14th and 15th place, with senior Brayden Keller winning the bout between them. B. Keller saw his performance time as 23.61, while freshman Colby Keller earned the time 24.89.  

The final event the men’s team competed in was the 4 by 400-meter dash. The Drovers team consisted of C. Keller, Pennells, DeWall, and B. Keller. The relay race saw USAO just outside of earning a medal as they placed fourth with their time of 3:42.15. 

While the men’s team had all their action on the track, the women’s team saw most of their team in the throwing events. Senior Savannah Creech was the only Drover to compete on the oval, as she took on the 200-meter dash and 400-meter dash. In the 200-meter dash, Creech ran the race in 27.60 earning a 16th overall finish and her fastest time this season. The 400-meter dash saw a higher placement though, as she finished eighth out of her competitors with a time of 1:04.15. 

USAO had three women compete in the shotput, with freshman Kyra Willett leading the way. Willett showcased her arm cannon to break the USAO program record for the second time this season after throwing 10.84 meters (35 feet 6 and ¾ inches). Her performance earned 12th place for the event. Freshman Alayna Nichols had the next farthest throw for the Drovers as she threw the shotput 9.59 meters (31 feet 5 and ¾ inches). She took 17th place for the event, with sophomore Laura Barrios Bardi took 19th place after recording a throw of 8.57 meters (28 feet 1 and ½ inches). 

Barrios Bardi wrapped up the throwing events for USAO as she competed in the discus throw as well. In her farthest throw, she launched the discus 27.95 meters (91 feet and 8 inches) and earned 20th overall.  

For their final regular season competition of the season, the Drovers will take the trip to Siloam Springs, Ark. for the SAC Championship, Thursday, May 9th. 

Gary Jackson is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.