Conference Foe Falls in Drover Fieldhouse

Volleyball picks up second conference win against Langston University
Wesley Yanish led the student section, which supported the Drovers in a number of ways, including a dance battle, cheering, dancing, and the wave.

After two losses in a row to some tough competition, USAO’s volleyball team (5-4, 2-3 SAC) looked to get a win in a matchup against conference rivals, Langston University (1-11, 0-5 SAC), Tuesday, Sept. 12. Last season the Drovers beat the Lions in five sets, winning 3-2.  

USAO was in a rough stretch, with a two-game losing streak, but after their loss against Southwestern Assemblies of God University (SAGU) they had time to prepare and come back this week in a better fashion.  

“We just had to mentally get prepared and just go in fighting ultimately. We had two tough opponents but knowing we had the capability in training to come in and execute off of what we did and finish on a positive note,” Isabel Almendarez, first year head coach, said.  

The first set was off to a shaky start for the Drovers. Langston handled the lead for much of the first set, and at one point were up 15-11. Yet the Drovers prevailed and went on some valuable runs late in the first set tying the set 19-19. From there to the end of the set it stayed close. Langston had the lead at 24-23, but the Drovers were able to score three straight points and win the set, with a final score of 26-24.  

“We just needed to work on consistency and being together as a team and fighting all the way. Not just waiting till the end to fight but starting from beginning to end,” Madison Garcia, team captain, said.  

The stats show how shaky the second set was for the Drovers, they had eight errors in total. At one point when Langston held a lead of 13-11, the Drovers went on an incredible run scoring eight straight points, giving them the lead of 19-13 in the second set. Although Langston got a couple points back, the Drovers didn’t look back from this run and came out on top, winning the second set 25-20. 

The third set didn’t go as planned, where USAO couldn’t come back from some early errors and ultimately lost the set 25-20.  

Although the set was back and forth early, USAO came around and once held a lead of 21-14. Langston did gain some points near the end, but the Drovers held their heads high and played tough and finished the set 25-23.  

“It was kind of rough, kind of a salty start but we got it together and we finished,” Garcia said. 

The Drovers came out of the game with a win in four sets, winning 3-1. A key player in Tuesday’s game was junior Victoria Southerland who had 19 points. After this game USAO now sits in sixth place in the Sooner Athletic Conference (SAC) with an overall record of 5-4. 

“It’s something that they needed. They needed to be able to come back after two tough losses ultimately. Even though we won in four, it is definitely something we needed,” Almendarez said. 

There were a lot of students cheering on the Drovers, one of the most energetic was freshman Wesley Yanish.  

“When they score a point, you know. Everybody goes crazy,” Yanish said with a cheer.  

The Drovers will be on the road again Friday, Sept. 15 with a 2 p.m. game against East Central University and a 4 p.m. game against Houstin-Tillotson. USAO will return to the Drover Fieldhouse Saturday, Sept. 16 for a 1 p.m. game against Central Christian College. 

Matthew Yokum is a second-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.