Hypatia Returns After Brief Hiatus and Inducts 30 Members

Hypatia is USAO’s most prestigious scholastic honor society
Emily Loughridge
The 30 new Hypatia members gather together with their medallions after being inducted into the honor society in late March.

Hypatia, USAO’s most prestigious scholastic society and the only campus-wide honor society, retuned after a four-year hiatus to hold their initiation ceremony Thursday, Mar. 28 in the ballroom for their 101st initiation ceremony. The ceremony invited 30 new inductees to receive their certificate, medallion, and sign into the new members book.

The society was formed in 1923 and was named after Hypatia, a noble woman from ancient times known for her honor, purity, and intellectual accomplishments. In the induction ceremony it was stated that Hypatia’s name is both an inspiration and challenge for members to uphold honor and encourage scholarship.

“Our main goal in restoring and updating Hypatia is student awareness of the Hypatia Honor Society here at USAO. We want students of all levels, from freshmen to seniors, to know the importance of being a Hypatia member,” Layne Thrift, the chairman of the Hypatia Committee and professor of art, said. “We are bringing back the traditional Initiation and Awards Luncheon, along with the Hypatia medallion and certificate.”

Like many honor societies, the exact requirements of membership are kept confidential between the four faculty advisors so students cannot strive for election. Students are elected based on scholarship, honor, and service. Membership in Hypatia is comparable to Phi Beta Kappa, as they are based on the same criteria. While grade point average (GPA) is considered, it was stated by the committee that it is not the only or main consideration for new members.

“Aso of right now, there are 48 on-campus members in Hypatia. We are currently trying to digitize the old records going back to 1923 and make the data available to the campus, public, and all members. We can initiate no more than 15 new members in the fall and 15 new members in the spring,” Thrift said.

The ceremony was led by Thrift; Emily Loughridge, 2024 society president and 2023 inductee; and Paul Tointigh, 2024 vice president and 2023 inductee. Dr. Donna Miles, Hypatia Committee member and vice president for academic affairs, gave opening remarks about the society and who Hypatia was.

Thrift stated that at the time Oklahoma College for Women (OCW) was not invited to Phi Beta Kappa because the society did not induct women into it; OCW then decided to honor their students through a prestigious on-campus society – Hypatia.

The Hypatia Committee is composed of Dr. Jeannette Loutsch, professor of biology, Dr. Zach Simpson, professor of philosophy and religious studies, Dr. Shaylee Chester, instructor of education, Dr. Miles, and Thrift. The Hypatia Committee is a permanent position for USAO faculty, and the committee members are selected by faculty members already on the committee.

2024 Inductees:

Rhiannon Allen Chelsea Fuston Devonian Locke
James Anderson Gabi Guyse Kaleb Naylor
Kade Bauman Tylan Hamilton Abigail McNabb
Josie Castle Carson Hart Danny Morales
Harry Cracknell Amanda Hibdon Lainey Morrow
Avery Crawford Zoey Hughes Colton O’Brien
Kaitlynn Darrow Gary Jackson Chloey Orosco
Anastasia Dulle Jaden Johnston Emily Ruiz
Mallory Emerson Rebekah Jordan Laynie Sapp
Hannah Farmer Emry Josey Isaiah Young

Emily Loughridge is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.