No Limits on Creativity at Multiplicity

The art show will host a reception Friday, Apr. 19 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Nesbitt Gallery
Art+Club+Treasurer+Thomas+Buchanan+hangs+one+of+his+three+pieces+in+the+Nesbitt+Gallery+in+preparation+for+Multiplicity.+
Art Club Treasurer Thomas Buchanan hangs one of his three pieces in the Nesbitt Gallery in preparation for Multiplicity.

Multiplicity, an art show organized by the Art Club, continues to exhibit diverse subject matter as it enters into its eighth year. There are no limits to students’ creativity as the show invites students of all majors to display their multidisciplinary through art, performance pieces, photography, writing, and more beginning Friday, Apr. 19 in the Nesbitt Gallery.

Multiplicity invites four faculty members, outside of the Art Department to eliminate bias, to judge the show. This year’s judges are Dr. Kevin Crow, professor of history; Dr. Holly Hatfield, assistant professor of economics; Dr. Jeannette Loutsch, professor of biology; and Dr. Brenda Brown, dean of IDS and Humanities. The judges will award four Judge’s Choice awards, which are accompanied by a certificate and monetary prize, as well as two Honorable Mentions, which will earn a certificate.

“It shows our talent. You know, one thing that I always say? We’ll bring in artists from all over the country and the fact is I always prefer our own students’ art compared to the big names we bring in. Our students are very talented. I never miss an art show with students,” Crow, who is a two-time judge for Multiplicity, said.

According to Hannah Delgado, Art Club secretary and second-year art major, the show will host 22 artists and more than 50 pieces. She said the Art Club wants this show to be accessible to all majors across campus, as art shows are usually art major specific.

Thomas Buchanan, Art Club treasurer and second-year art major, has participated in Multiplicity for two consecutive years. He entered three pieces this year, and said he felt a responsibility to take advantage of every opportunity to showcase his work.

“It’s stuff I’ve been experimenting with, and I haven’t really done before. It’s stuff I’m getting more confident with, and it’s a good way for me to put out some work I wouldn’t usually put out in a show,” Buchanan said.

Buchanan continued to state that he believes one goal of the show is to bring the campus together and showcase our student body. He encouraged all students to attend, whether they were interested in art or not, because it is a great way to meet new people, network, experience what others are doing, and explore different aspects of campus.

Crow stated that he never knows what to expect from student art shows on campus, but that he is always pleasantly surprised. He continued to say he enjoys looking at the creativity, skill levels, and various perspectives students bring into their works.

Multiplicity’s reception will be held in the Nesbitt Gallery in Davis Hall Friday, Apr. 19 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. The four judges will present the awards at 7 p.m. and refreshments will be available.

Emily Loughridge is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.