Droverstock 2024! (Photo Essay)

Gannon Fremin & CCREV concluded the night with their hour and a half long set list.

My last Droverstock as a student went down in the books as my favorite one yet. I started my day out on the Oval around 8:30 a.m. With my camera in hand, I started snapping shots of all of the artists beginning their chalk art pieces.

I had several friends manning booths down the middle of the Oval as well, which means I spent the morning bouncing back and forth between everyone. I also had the pleasure of meeting President Hale’s niece, who said she is planning on attending USAO within the next few years.

Two of my friends, Thomas Buchanan and Laura Barrios Bardi, competed in the chalk art event. After the judging was over, we all celebrated as the pair won first place in the adult division! After listening to all the excited students win their sections of the scholastic meets, we took a stroll through the food trucks and finished chalk art pieces.

We also looked at many of the expanded media pieces that were stationed all over campus. I think the most relatable one was Romeo Black continually hitting snooze while napping in the Oval – we’ve all been there.

By this time, it was edging into the middle of the afternoon and most of us had been up for hours. We all ventured back to our apartments to take naps, submit a few assignments, and – in my case – empty my camera’s SD card before the evening events began.

We returned to the Oval around 4 p.m., where we claimed our spot for the evening with blankets and chairs. We then toured the second wave of vendors posted throughout the Oval. The bands were running through their sound checks, which gave us a chance to hear them play.

The bull riding station was finally being aired up and a long line formed with excited children and students. Several members of our group rode the bull with freshman Wesely Yanish setting the group’s record by holding onto the bull for 26 seconds. Dr. Hale came later in the evening and rode the bull!

Around 6 p.m., Ethan Ryans kicked off the musical part of the evening. He was followed by Oaktown. The Smokin Oaks were the first band on the big stage around 7:30 p.m. Adara Kay came out an hour later, and was followed by the headlining band Gannon Fremin & CCREV. The music wrapped up around 11 p.m. The Oval was filled with so many people as they danced, sang, and sat in the grass. The beer garden was open throughout the night as well.

This was the most performers I have ever seen at Droverstock, and they brought fun energy and good music to the night. Gannon Fremin & CCREV started a mosh pit during their set list, as they invited people to get out of their seats.

An after party was held at Legends Pub House & Venue. To ensure students safely got to and from the bar, set of shuttles were set up until early into the morning. Several members of the bands came to the bar where they hung out and continued singing. This was an all-new portion of the event, and I think a lot of students enjoyed the addition. I didn’t make it back home until after 1 a.m.

I want to share a sincere thank you to everyone who made the event possible – from the clubs, organizations, vendors, sponsors, faculty, staff, students, bands, and event staff. You all made such a special and memorable night for those who participated.

For me (and for others), it was a last hurrah as we edge closer to the end of another year. In a few weeks so many of our friends will be moving onto the next chapter in their lives, but Droverstock gave us one night to hang out with our friends (and pups) until early the next morning. I’m so thankful I was surrounded by friends all day and that we could make some pretty cool memories together.

Until next year, Droverstock!

Emily Loughridge is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.