Drovers Place Third in Final Tournament

Senior Caleb Smith lined up a putt in a practice round at Winter Creek, USAO’s home course.

The Drovers played their last regular season tournament in Willow Park, Texas. The Texas Intercollegiate was hosted at Squaw Creek Golf Course (Par 71, 6958 yards). The 54-hole tournament invited a dozen teams to play.

USAO traveled with the same five players from the previous tournament including sophomore Conner Cryer, senior Jax Brewer, sophomore Jaeden Ellis, senior Caleb Smith, and freshman Cooper Hardison. As a team, the Drovers shot 291 (+7), 295 (+11), and 283 (-1) to total 869 (+17). Their work earned them a 3rd place finish in the tournament, as they improved from a tied 5th place after day one.

Cryer, the team’s one bag, had a stellar performance across all three rounds earning him a tied 2nd finish in the tournament. He was one stroke away from tying Tres Hill, the tournament’s victory from Oklahoma City University (OCU). He started with an even par round. He followed it up by shooting one over par and then redeeming himself with a final score of 69 (-2). He totaled 212 (-1). Across the three rounds, Cryer recorded ten birdies, with five in his final round.

Three Drovers tied for 17th including Brewer, Smith, and Hardison. The team’s two bag, Brewer shot 76 (+5) and 74 (+3) in day one, and he came back to life for round three where he scored 70 (-1). His third round was a battle as he recorded only one birdie and grinded for 17 pars.

Smith, the team’s four bag, saw his best round in the first when he shot 70 (-1). His shot 78 (+7) and 72 (+1) in his final two rounds. He recorded nine birdies, with four in his final round.

“I think preparing ourselves, being confident that we are as competitive as we can be, and believing in ourselves every time we step over the golf ball,” Smith said.

Hardison, the team’s five bag, shot 74 (+3) in his first two rounds, and saw improvement as he marked a 72 (+1) in his final round. He also saw four birdies in his final round.

Ellis, the team’s three bag, concluded the team with a 36th finish. He shot 78 (+7), 75 (+4), and 74 (+3) to total 227 (+14).

The team recorded 33 birdies across 54-holes, and Cryer lead with ten. Smith followed closely with nine, and Hardison was next with seven.

As the regular season comes to a close, the Drovers will compete in the Sooner Athletic Conference (SAC) Championship Monday, Apr. 29 through Tuesday, Apr. 30 at Sand Creek Station Golf Course in Newton, Kansas.

“I’m very reminiscent over my years here and very thankful to be a part of the inaugural USAO men’s golf team. I’m very thankful for all the opportunities I’ve been given, and it is very bittersweet to leave,” Smith said as his senior season comes to a close.

Emily Loughridge is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.