Susie Maxwell Berning Classic Delivers Fifth Place Finish

Steve+Holden+%28second+from+left%29+advises+three+of+his+players+including+Emma+Fields%2C+Kiera+Stehr%2C+and+Moriah+Shropshire.+
Emily Loughridge
Steve Holden (second from left) advises three of his players including Emma Fields, Kiera Stehr, and Moriah Shropshire.

USAO’s women’s golf team stayed close to home as they played in the Susie Maxwell Berning Classic hosted at Lincoln Park Golf Course – West (Par 72, 5867 yards) in Oklahoma City. The 54-hole tournament hosted nine teams and began Monday, Apr. 8 and concluded the following day.

The Drovers took a five-person squad including sophomore Hudson Woloss, freshman Emma Fields, sophomore Moriah Shropshire, sophomore Alix Schueneman, and freshman Adde Glass. As a team, USAO scored rounds of 328 (+40), 317 (+29), and 320 (+32) for a total of 965 (+101). The Drovers finished fifth in the tournament.

Fields, the team’s two bag, placed 11th overall. She had a consistent start with two rounds of 76 (+4) on the first day. In the first round, Fields saw two birdies and six bogeys. In round two, she scored one birdie and five bogeys. In her final round, Fields shot 77 (+5) for a total of 229 (+13).

The team’s three bag, Shropshire shot 89 (+17) in her first round. She quickly recovered to earn a 77 (+5) in round two. In the final round, Shropshire shot 80 (+8) for a total of 246 (+30). She tied for 25th in the tournament.

Woloss, the team’s one bag, followed closely behind Shropshire with a tied 27th finish. She contributed both of her first rounds to the team’s score in day one. She shot 85 (+13) in round one and took three strokes off her second score of 82 (+10). In her third round, Woloss had a round of 80 (+8) for a total of 247 (+31).

Glass, the team’s five bag, tied for 32nd place in the tournament. She shot 81 (+9) in her first round. She battled through to score 82 (+10) in her second round. In her final round, Glass posted a score of 89 (+17). She totaled 252 (+36).

The team’s five bag, Schuenemann contributed her first round to the team with a score of 86 (+14). In her second round, Schuenemann shot 88 (+16) and saw her first birdie of the tournament. The final round delivered her a score of 83 (+11) for a total of 257 (+41). She placed 34th in the tournament.

USAO’s team recorded 15 birdies with Fields leading with five. Shropshire and Glass recorded three birdies each. Fields recorded the best round for the Drovers with 76 (+4).

USAO also traveled with three individuals, who did not contribute their scores to the team. The individuals included sophomore Addy Asmus, sophomore Kiera Stehr, and freshman Emilee Slovak.

Asmus placed 44th with rounds of 97 (+25), 86 (+14), and 82 (+10) for a total of 265 (+49). Slovak followed closely with a 45th placement. She shot rounds of 92 (+20), 87 (+15), and 92 (+20) for a total of 271 (+55). Finally, Stehr scored 98 (+26), 96 (+24), and 88 (+16) to place 50th overall.

The team will travel to Willow Park, TX for their last tournament of the season before conference play begins. The Texas Wesleyan Spring Invitational will be hosted at Squaw Creek Golf Course Monday, Apr. 15 through Tuesday, Apr. 16.

Emily Loughridge is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.