Top Ten Finish Posted at Colbert Hills

After+hitting+his+driver%2C+Jax+Brewer+watches+his+ball+land+during+a+practice+round+at+Winter+Creek.+
Emily Loughridge
After hitting his driver, Jax Brewer watches his ball land during a practice round at Winter Creek.

For the first time this season, USAO’s men’s golf team traveled to Kansas for a tournament. The Drovers played in the Midwest Spring National Invite hosted at the Colbert Hills Golf Course (Par 72, 7278 yards) in Manhattan. The 54-hole tournament hosted 15 teams beginning Monday, Apr. 8 through the following day.

USAO only took a five-man crew to their last tournament of the season including sophomore Conner Cryer, senior Jax Brewer, sophomore Jaeden Ellis, senior Caleb Smith, and freshman Cooper Hardison. As a team, the Drovers scored 304 (+16), 305 (+17), and 299 (+11) for a total of 908 (+44). After the third round, USAO placed ninth.

Brewer, the team’s two bag, jumped to an early lead as he had the only score under par in the first round. He shot 71 (-1) in round one, and he tallied three birdies throughout the first 18 holes. In his second round, Brewer shot 76 (+4). For his final round, Brewer shot 74 (+2). Across the last 18 holes, Brewer recorded an eagle and three birdies. He finished tied 13th in the tournament with a total of 221 (+5).

Cryer, the team’s one bag and back-to-back champion this season, tied for 37th. In round one, he shot 80 (+8). He shot 79 (+7) in round two; the play of the round was on hole 13 where Cryer scored an eagle, which shaved two strokes off his total for the round. The final round saw him shoot 70 (-2), which gave him the best round for the Drovers. He saw five birdies in the final round, which was the most birdies any Drover saw in one round.

The team’s four bag, Smith also tied for 37th. He shot 78 (+6) in his first round. Smith shaved two strokes off his second round for a score of 76 (+4). In the second round, Smith recorded four birdies. His final round saw a score of 75 (+3) which gave Smith a total of 229 (+13).

Ellis, the team’s three bag, placed 42nd overall. He shot 75 (+3), 76 (+4), and 76 (+4) to total 231 (+15). Ellis earned six birdies across the three rounds.

Hardison, the team’s five bag, came into the tournament with something to prove. He shot 80 (+8) in round one and 77 (+5) in round two. Hardison shot 81 (+9) in his final round to total 238 (+22). He finished tied for 52nd.

The team posted two eagles, one from Cryer in round two and one from Brewer in round three. The team recorded 33 birdies, with Smith and Cryer leading with eight each. The team also marked 73 bogeys down on their score sheets.

The team will travel to Willow Park, TX for their last tournament of the season before conference play begins. The Texas Wesleyan Spring Invitational will be hosted at Squaw Creek Golf Course Monday, Apr. 15 through Tuesday, Apr. 16.

Emily Loughridge is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.