Auditions Set for “Mankind”

Britton Brewer

“It will be great costumes, wicked fun, and a great way to spend Halloween,” said Katie Davis, Associate Professor of Drama, about the production this trimester.

This fall, Davis and the drama department are bringing in the trimester with auditions for a production called “Mankind”, a medieval morality play written around 1370 in England. “It is an allegorical play about the battle for good and evil for man’s soul,” explained Davis.

Auditions will be held Wednesday, Sept. 4, at 7 pm in the Davis Little Theater in Davis Hall.  They are open to “anyone from any major who wants to get involved,” said Davis.  She even welcomes students who have no theater experience at all to come audition.

According to Davis, once students get to the audition they can state whether they want to “work on the set, backstage, on costumes, in the business end of the theater, or actually want to audition for a role to perform” in the production.

“There are only about 10 roles in this production so it will be really competitive this year, but there are lots and lots of things that are needed to make the set and costumes really scary for Halloween,” said Davis.

The play is set for Halloween night with three different showings at 8 pm, 10 pm, and midnight.

People interested in auditioning should keep in mind that rehearsals will be held Monday and Wednesday nights as well as some weekend rehearsals, and people working on the set and costumes will work on Tuesday and Thursday nights, according to Davis.  “It is entirely possible to be cast in the show and still work backstage on the show as well,” Davis said.

Up to three credit hours can be earned by working on the show, and the cast list will be posted by Friday so students can add to their schedules to receive the credit, stated Davis.