Getting To Class Late Is A Crime, The Trend Urges You To Be On Time

Katie Fikes

Getting to class late is a crime.  Why?  Because, according to the College Board, in their report, “Education Pays 2013: The Benefits of Higher Education for Individuals and Society,” the 2011 median earnings of college graduates was more than 62 percent higher than workers with only a high school diploma.  That is more than $21,000 per year and that figure increases rapidly with age.  In addition, the College Board states that 2011 unemployment rates for college graduates were 7.1 percent lower than for high-school graduates.

When a student disrupts a class by arriving late, he or she is essentially picking the pockets of fellow classmates.   The delay interrupts the thought-line of the instructor and breaks the concentration of other students.   This disruption shortens class time needed to deliver key data.  The tardy student is robbed of information discussed before his arrival.  The rip-off continues as many college students are bank-rolled by scholarships, grants, awards, loans, and benevolent relations.

But college is not just about money.  College graduates in general are covered by health insurance, and save for retirement.  They are less likely to utilize government aid-assistance programs.   Also, college graduates bring more tax revenue to federal, state, and local governments.

College graduates are more often active in volunteering for community organizations and are more inclined to vote.  They receive more internal gratification from their work.  Finally, college graduates are less inclined to smoke or become obese.   All of these add up to a more enjoyable higher quality lifestyle.

We at the Trend urge each student at USAO to arrive at every class on time.  Show respect for yourself, the instructor, and classmates. The additional instruction time gained may expedite graduation.   Look forward to a future with increased salary and happiness.  All students should receive full return for the dollars invested in their education.