The Student News Site of University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma

The Trend

The Trend

The Trend

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

The Trend (@thetrendusao) • Instagram photos and videos

Facebook

Woloss Finished in Top 10 at SAC Championship

Hudson+Woloss+looks+to+hit+her+ball+out+of+a+bunker+at+Winter+Creek+Golf+Course+during+a+practice+round.+
Emily Loughridge
Hudson Woloss looks to hit her ball out of a bunker at Winter Creek Golf Course during a practice round.

USAO’s women’s golf team competed in the SAC Championship Monday, Apr. 29 through Tuesday, Apr. 30 at the Sand Creek Station Golf Course (Par 72, 5997 yards) in Newton, Kansas. The Drovers were one of five teams competing in the 54-hole tournament. The teams saw only slight breezes in their first rounds, but it picked up dramatically by the third round – which added an additional challenge to the course.

As a team, the Drovers placed 4th overall after recording rounds of 335 (+47), 338 (+50), and 354 (+66). The team totaled 1,027 (+208).

USAO’s team was composed of five Drovers including freshman Emma Fields, sophomore Hudson Woloss, sophomore Moriah Shropshire, freshman Adde Glass, and sophomore Alix Schueneman.

Woloss, the team’s two bag, was the only Drover to place in the top ten as she finished tied for 7th overall. She had consistent rounds of 81 (+9) for her first two rounds, and then she adapted to an extremely windy second day with a final round of 75 (+3). Woloss totaled 237 (+21).

The team’s three bag, Shropshire followed with a 15th finish. She saw her best round in day one with a 79 (+7). Shropshire then recorded an 85 (+13) and a 93 (+21) to finish the tournament. She totaled 257 (+41).

Fields was the next Drover with a 19th finish. She shot 86 (+14), 84 (+12), and 97 (+25) to total 267 (+51). Schueneman placed 20th overall after rounds of 89 (+17), 91 (+19), 91 (+19) to total 271 (+55). Glass was one stroke behind her for a tied 21st finish and a total of 272 (+56). In her three rounds, Glass shot 89 (+17), 88 (+16), and 95 (+23).

The Drovers also took two alternatives to the tournament, including freshman Emilee Slovak and sophomore Kiera Stehr. Slovak finished 23rd with scores of 86 (+14), 95 (+23), and 99 (+27). Stehr finished next in line with a tied 24th finish. Her rounds were marked as 99 (+27), 89 (+17), and 100 (+28).

The team recorded 15 birdies, with Shropshire claiming a third of them as her own. Woloss saw four birdies, and Fields and Glass saw three each.

The Drovers concluded their season in Kansas, and will be back in action in the fall.

Emily Loughridge is a fourth-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.

Ray Thomas-Lapham