USAO Hosts First Giles Symposium Since Pandemic

USAO+is+hosting+its+first+Giles+Symposium+since+the+Covid-19+pandemic.+The+event+will+be+Friday+starting+at+6+p.m.+in+the+Te+Ata+Auditorium.+

Emily Loughridge

USAO is hosting its first Giles Symposium since the Covid-19 pandemic. The event will be Friday starting at 6 p.m. in the Te Ata Auditorium.

Anastasia Dulle, Contributing Writer

On March 3rd, USAO will host Hannibal B. Johnson as the opening lecturer and David Grann as the keynote speaker for the 2023 Giles Symposium for Citizenship and Public Service. The symposium will be held in the Te Ata Auditorium from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and will feature a moderated Q&A with the speakers. The moderator will be third-year Communication major, Paul Tointigh. Additionally, master classes taught by Johnson and Grann will be held in the Davis Hall Amphitheater earlier in the day, featuring a class titled “Teaching Social Justice Issues” at 2:30 p.m. with Johnson and a class titled “Art of Storytelling” at 3:30 p.m. with Grann. The symposium is free to attend but requires registration.

Grann is a bestselling author and writer for New Yorker magazine who has gained critical acclaim for his true crime novels, including Killers of the Flower Moon and The Lost City of Z, which have both been adapted into major motion pictures. Grann’s newest book, The Wager will be published this April. Grann holds master’s degrees in creative writing and international relations and has written for numerous journals and magazines.

Johnson is an attorney, consultant, and author who graduated from Harvard Law School and has served as an adjunct professor at multiple universities in Oklahoma. Johnson specializes as a consultant for issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion, among other specializations, and is also an expert witness on race, intercultural relations, African American history, and workplace diversity issues. Johnson has authored ten books, a play, and a TV documentary, and has written numerous articles for a variety of publishers. Johnson has also been inducted into the Tulsa and Oklahoma Halls of Fame.

The 2023 Giles Symposium will be the first Ray, Mary, & Nita Giles Symposium for Citizenship and Public Service that USAO has been able to hold since the Covid-19 pandemic.

More about Grann and Johnson can be found at the following links to their websites:

https://www.davidgrann.com

https://www.hannibalbjohnson.com

Anastasia Dulle is a third-year Sociology major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.