D&D Players Find New Home at Tavern Games

Dungeons+%26+Dragons+%28D%26D%29+is+best+depicted+by+the+dice+utilized+to+build+characters%2C+navigate+storylines%2C+and+create+the+experiences+of+the+players.+

Gary Jackson

Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) is best depicted by the dice utilized to build characters, navigate storylines, and create the experiences of the players.

Gary Jackson, Contributing Writer

Imagine sitting inside of a jail cell watching the hours drag by. Suddenly, the ceiling is ripped off above your head where a group of mages, barbarians, and a bard all look and say, “Join us on an adventure friend.” If this sounds intriguing, it is a game everyone can get into called “Dungeons and Dragons” (D&D). Luckily for USAO students and others, there is a new business in Chickasha that is all about D&D called the Tavern Games.

According to their website, Tavern Games is located at 407 West Chickasha Avenue and is open seven days a week from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Along with D&D, players can participate in other role-playing games (RPGs) like “Magic the Gathering”, “Fading Suns”, and other titles.

For those who aren’t sure what RPGs are, they are games where players assume their roles in a fictional setting. The game has collaborative and interactive storytelling that players will act out literally or through a set of decisions, depending on the story.

The Tavern Games also has games for customers to rent if they would like to play a specific one. The store charges $5 for customers to come in and they can stay until the store closes. The new business offers an alternative for students to play RPGs since the D&D club is currently inactive at USAO. However, there still is an independent study course in D&D that is open to all students over the summer.

“There wasn’t any interest for former members to be president of the club and our vice president is overloaded this semester,” said Dr. Matt Reynolds, assistant professor of Deaf Education, coordinator of the Deaf Education program, and advisor for the inactive D&D club.

The club is without leadership, but that is the only thing that is holding them back from becoming active again. Dr. Reynolds continued by saying if there are students interested in leading the D&D club, then there are still plenty of students that would love to be a part of it.

Gary Jackson is a second-year Communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.