Drovers End Season with the Taste of Victory

USAO won their second tournament in program history at Sand Creek Station
Earlier+in+the+season%2C+Emma+Fields+hit+her+second+shot+at+Winter+Creek+Golf+Course+in+Blanchard.+
Emily Loughridge
Earlier in the season, Emma Fields hit her second shot at Winter Creek Golf Course in Blanchard.

USAO’s women’s golf team traveled to Newton, Kan. for their final tournament of the year, Sand Creek Intercollegiate Invitational. The tournament was played at Sand Creek Station Golf Course (Par 72, 4893 yards) and hosted seven teams. The two-day tournament was altered due to inclement weather, meaning the teams played two rounds Monday, Oct. 23, instead of playing into Tuesday, Oct. 24.

The Drovers ended their season with another plaque in their hands as the women secured their second 1st place finish this season. The women shot 312 (+24) in round one and 335 (+47) in round two, which totaled 647 (+71). USAO easily held their first-place position, as the second-place team, Southwestern Oklahoma State University (SWOSU) sat 35 strokes behind the Drovers.

The team was comprised of seven players; Five player’s scores went towards the team score while the remaining three played as individuals. Hudson Woloss, Moriah Shropshire, Alix Schueneman, Emma Fields, and Adde Glass contributed to the team’s scores.

Fields found her groove in the final tournament of her first collegiate season, as she shot 73 (+1) in her first round and 83 (+11) in her second round. Her combined scores earned her a 2nd place finish in the tournament. Woloss was one spot behind her in 3rd place, after shooting 77 (+5) and 84 (+12).

Another Drover worked her way into the top five, as Glass placed 5th overall. Glass shot 79 (+7) and 83 (+11). Schueneman found herself in the top ten as well, with consistent rounds of 83 (+11) and 84 (+12). She tied for 7th place. Shropshire rounded out the team with a tied 8th place finish after rounds of 88 (+16) and 85 (+13).

USAO also traveled with two players who played as individuals, meaning their scores did not contribute to the team’s scores. Those players are Addysyn Asmus and Kiera Stehr.

Asmus played right alongside her teammate, Shropshire, as she also tied for 8th place. In her first round, Asmus shot 88 (+16) and followed with an 85 (+13) in her second round. Stehr placed 36th overall after rounds of 100 (+28) and 92 (+20).

The ladies concluded their season with their second ever 1st place finish. Over the course of the season, the Drovers won two tournaments and placed 2nd in another. The ladies will be back in action for their spring season starting in early March, according to the Drover Athletics website.

Emily Loughridge is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.