The Student News Site of University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma

The Trend

The Trend

The Trend

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

The Trend (@thetrendusao) • Instagram photos and videos

Facebook

Red Cross Club Hosts First Blood Drive

The blood drive will be in the ballroom Wednesday, Oct. 11 from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Photo provided by the Red Cross Club
Members of the Red Cross Club executive board, including (from left) Hannah Romans, PR manager; Dylan Guillen, secretary; and Lydia Darce, vice president, gather to disucss their upcoming blood drive Wednesday, Oct. 11.

In January 2023, Harry Cracknell, a third-year communication major, was offered a summer internship with the American Red Cross in Washington D.C. During the internship, the Red Cross gave a mission to all the interns to host blood drives on their college campuses.  

“The program was targeted toward college students and trying to get more young people involved,” Cracknell, USAO’s Red Cross Club (RCC) president, said. “They wanted to include us more, and I want to run with the club and make it fun and exciting.” 

There were 14 students from NAIA universities across the country in the internship and Cracknell is the first representative of USAO for the Red Cross. Cracknell, with the help of Dr. Jeannette Loutsch, professor of biology and RCC faculty advisor, started the RCC on campus.  

The RCC will host its first blood drive of the fall Wednesday, Oct. 11 from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the ballroom. The date was set between the two Oklahoma Blood Institute (OBI) blood drives this trimester to allow people more opportunities to donate blood. There is a national blood shortage that is happening, so donors of all blood types are being asked to donate throughout the nation. 

“Blood is always in demand, there is always a need for blood, no matter how many blood drives we do, it’s all going to matter in the end. It’s a big thing for hospitals and for patients, it shows that we care about our community and others,” Lydia Darce, RCC vice-president and second-year biology major, said. 

The RCC said they hope to receive at least 20 units of blood and two power reds, or two donations from one person. A single unit of blood can save up to three lives, and the RCC said they want to save as many lives as possible. Dilly Guillen, RCC secretary and second-year psychology major, said he hopes students at least try to donate blood during the blood drive. 

“I hope students get more awareness and education on how necessary blood is, and I would be very happy for people to try to participate and not even be able to donate blood,” Guillen said. “Last year I tried to donate I wasn’t able to, and I’m fine with that because I gave it my best shot and I feel the same for other people.” 

Walk-ins are welcomed at the blood drive, and appointments can be scheduled through Cracknell by emailing harrycracknell5@gmail.com or calling 405-981-5188.  

The RCC plans to host a blood drive during the spring trimester, and they said they hope to potentially host other events throughout the year, such as CPR training, a bake sale, and a winter clothes drive.

Luka Messick is a first-year physics major at the Univeristy of Science and Arts of Oklahoma. 

Ray Thomas-Lapham