Asmus Finishes in the Top 10 at Crestview Invitational

The Drovers finish 4th overall in their second tournament
Emily Loughridge
Addysyn Asmus takes a moment after her shot to watch where her ball lands on the green.

USAO’s women’s team faced some adversity before and during the tournament, meaning USAO took six golfers instead of eight. For their second tournament, the Drovers played in the Crestview Invitational at Crestview Country Club on the North Course (Par 72, 5651) in Wichita, KS. The tournament began Monday, Sept. 18 and ended Tuesday, Sept. 19 with one round played each day. The Drovers challenged six other teams and placed 4th overall.

“Having our first three bags out for this tournament set the standards high for me. I wanted to show up for our team and keep calm and play good,” Addysyn Asmus said.

The team was comprised of six players; Five player’s scores went towards the team score while the remaining one played as an individual. Emma Fields, Moriah Shropshire, Adde Glass, Emilee Slovak, and Asmus contributed to the team’s score.

Fields, who was USAO’s one bag, played through the first-round scoring 80 (+8). However, Fields withdrew from the tournament before the second round began.

Asmus placed 9th individually. She shot rounds of 84 (+12) and 82 (+10) for an overall score of 166 (+22). Shropshire and Glass went head-to-head, with Shropshire coming out on top by one stroke. She placed 15th individually with round scores of 88 (+16) and 84 (+12). Glass shot 89 (+17) and (84 (+12) respectively. Slovak rounded off the team’s scores with rounds of 92 (+20) and 90 (+18).

As a team, the Drovers shot 681 (+105) overall, after shooting rounds of 341 (+53) and 340 (+52). USAO was four strokes behind the 3rd place team, Baker University, who shot a team score of 677 (+101).

Kiera Stehr played as the team’s only individual player for the tournament. She shot rounds of 98 (+26) and 90 (+18) for a total of 188 (+44).

With their first two tournaments on the road, USAO will return to their home course, Winter Creek Golf & Country Club, for the Battle at Winter Creek.

“My goal for Winter Creek is to stay consistent and don’t let it get in my head that I need to play my best since it’s at our home course,” Asmus said. “As a team, we will strive to do our best since we are very familiar with every aspect of the course and in a comfortable environment.”

The players will use the next week to regroup before the first day of the tournament begins Monday. Oct. 2. A winner will be named Tuesday, Oct. 3 after two rounds of play.

Emily Loughridge is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.