Christmas Tree Figurines Spark Fond Memories

Emily Loughridge

Hanging ornaments on the Christmas tree can spark fond memories for many people as the merry season arrives.

Matthew Yokum, Contributing Writer

When you think of Christmas, what is a special or favorite memory that comes to mind? For some people, it could be a particular gift they received one year, for others it could be time spent with family. Whatever the case may be, you can probably recall a Christmas tree being around at some point in your Christmas experience.  

The Christmas tree is a staple of Christmas and brings smiles and excitement to the season, but let us not forget that at the end of the day, it is just a tree. Without any ornaments that tree is nothing. It might hurt to say but it’s true. 

I have very fond memories of hanging ornaments from the tree with my family, and I’m sure there are many people who can say the same. In my reminiscing, the thought of my favorite ornament came to mind. A Darth Vader ornament with a button you can press to make him say, “Luke, I am your father.” As nerdy as it might have been for me to admit that, it has a special place in my heart around Christmas. I was curious to see if I was the only one who had a favorite ornament, so I decided to ask around campus.  

Freshman Nicholas Barnett can recall an ornament he made for his mom as a kid. The ornament was a foam hand and Barnett said he remembers it being on the tree every year.  

“I loved it because of the meaning it had. It was always nice to see on the tree, even if it looked rough,” said Barnett in reference to his foam hand ornament. 

Annie Roberts, coordinator of campus events and first year retention, said she has a Mulan ornament that is very special to her. She said Mulan is her favorite princess because she doesn’t need a man, but the ornament has another a special meaning to it.  

“I went on vacation with my Nana and Papa who are very dear to me, and they bought me the ornament. We hung it on the tree and kept it up there forever. I still hang it on my tree to this day,” said Roberts.  

Although it is not a particular ornament, President Feaver’s favorite part of the Christmas tree is whatever Christmas topper he and his wife decide to put on the tree. 

“I don’t think I have a clear favorite. I do know that every year, the First Lady puts a crowning ornament on the top of the tree. Often, it’s an angel or sometimes it’s a star, and I’d have to say that is my favorite part,” said President Feaver.  

Whatever your favorite ornament may be, it seems a common theme throughout these answers is a unique, heartwarming memory with loved ones. While you are taking the time to decorate this year do not forget to stop and reflect about loved ones and your favorite ornament. 

Matthew Yokum is a first-year Communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.