The Student News Site of University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma

The Trend

The Trend

The Trend

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

The Trend (@thetrendusao) • Instagram photos and videos

Facebook

Davis-Waldorf Still Going Amid COVID-19

Edgar Cruz takes questions and comments at the end of a virtual performance at USAO. This is his second time performing for a virtual performance at USAO Sept. 17 as the opening act of the 2020 Davis-Waldorf Performing Artist Series. Photo by Erin Lynch

USAO’s Davis-Waldorf Performing Arts will be a little different this year. Instead of professional artists performing on campus, the 2020 series will present all artists virtually because of COVID-19 guidelines. Katie Davis, professor of theatre arts and artistic director for the series, said audiences will see what she called “an Inter’Act season” with performances by Push Theatre Oct. 8, at 7 p.m., Shakespeare in Jazz Feb. 18, at 7 p.m., and Harmonious Wail Mar. 25, at 7 p.m. She said all virtual performances will be free. 

Edgar Cruz started the season with a guitar performance of cover songs including many song requests from the audience as well as online viewers.

“At any given time, we had between 40-45 people in attendance,” Davis said. “We have about 100 subscribers for the season which includes students and sponsors.” 

“One of our sponsors wrote back to me after the concert and said he got a lot of emails back from people at his company in town saying they thought it was a really great idea and how excited they were about it,” said Davis. 

USAO senior double major in theatre arts and natural science, Will Baird, attended Cruz’s concert. 

“Edgar Cruz is a master of finger style guitar, and on top of that a wonderful storyteller. His show was an incredible experience,” Baird said.

USAO sophomore art major Bea Tezen also attended Cruz’s show. 

“I like the variety of music he plays and how he uses his guitar to make additional noises like horse gallops and drumming sounds,” she said.

The season continues with Push Theatre on Thursday, Oct. 8, at 7 p.m. 

The Push Physical Theatre came to USAO last year to do a production of “Dracula.”

According to Davis, this year will be more about how Push Theatre is changing their process and what their projects are since the pandemic hit. The experience level required for these is “absolutely beginner.”

The Davis-Waldorf series includes virtual residencies for the season ahead. The “Push Theatre” performance and “Shakespeare in Jazz” will both have the opportunity for what Davis calls the “three-part event.”

While virtual performances are free to anyone who wants to attend, two events will offer workshops to the public. 

The “Shakespeare in Jazz” and “Harmonious Wail” events will offer a free workshop for all USAO students, a free public performance, and following that is the opportunity for anyone to take the $25 workshop. 

“Students could take the free master class, see the free evening show, and spend an extra $25 and get a second workshop which will be different than the class they took on Wednesday,” Davis said.

“Shakespeare in Jazz” and “Harmonious Wail” will be available for students online in the Spring. The “Shakespeare in Jazz” will be held on Feb. 18, at 7 p.m. and “Harmonious Wail” will be Mar. 25, at 7 p.m.

“Shakespeare in Jazz” will bring in Shakespeare’s text and perform it with jazz, as well as working with the audience to teach them how to combine this text and the music.” Davis said, the workshops will be about “collaboration and how to work with composers and a lyricist.” 

The “Harmonious Wail” will offer only a single virtual performance night, similar to Edgar Cruz. 

This trio offers music ranging from jazz to blues and they plan to do a preview concert and chat with the audience about themselves and their music. 

“In addition, we’re offering everyone who signs up for the Davis-Waldorf series a link for the fall production. The play that we’re doing for the theatre arts program is a premier of Caridad Svich’s new play Desdemona’s Child,” Davis said. 

James Mounger is a senior theatre arts major who is doing work study within the Davis Waldorf Performing Artists Series. 

“This is the story of a small town and what happens when you let bad cops and bigotry control everything,” Mounger said. “I think Desdemona’s Child has a message that should be heard right now. I’m excited to see the response from the community and students who watch our production.” 

Erin Lynch is a senior communication major from Yukon, OK