Tips on decorating your dorm room

Although people have mixed emotions about living in dorms, they are a great way to meet new people and make the most out of your college experience. Dorms, however, are a far cry from what most students are used to. You no longer have your own room with plenty of closet space or a private bathroom, but with a little personalization your dorm room might start to feel like your own space. Just make sure not to infringe on your roommate’s territory while creating your space.

For starters, you should obviously buy fun bedding. Since it takes up a lot of space in your room, make it pretty. The beds in Sparks are twin-sized and they have full-sized beds in Lawson. My favorite place to shop for bedding is Target. They have great prices and tons of fun, bright comforters to choose from. Plus, they usually have lots of matching accessories to choose from as well.

My next tip is that you should definitely get organized. Since the rooms are so small, they get messy quick. I like to buy lots of plastic boxes and drawers to make sure that I have enough storage for all of my things.

You should also get things to cover your walls. The plain, white walls are boring and since you can’t paint, posters and photographs are the way to go. I also like to have a corkboard so I can change out what is up there whenever I feel like it.

Another great way to add some color to the room is with rugs. Plus, it’s nice to be able to cover up stains and such from the year before. There are endless possibilities as they come in every shape, size and color imaginable.

Lighting is one of the most important things to think about when choosing how to decorate. Make sure to buy a floor lamp and a desk lamp so you have sufficient lighting. It also makes the room cozier since you are able to drown out the glow of the lights in the room.  

When decorating your dorm, you get to take half of the room and make it your own. Have fun deciding how to furnish your space and remember to make it your own. By mixing and matching different bedroom accessories, as well as covering the walls with whatever your heart desires (besides paint), it will start to feel more like home.