Health Services At USAO Offer Many Options For Students Seeking Treatment

Teresa Foster

Be aware to protect your health. Health Services is not just a program to track immunizations.

“Students don’t realize what we provide here. Health Services is a place where they can come for treatment or care of minor injury or illness,” said Chris Basco, associate dean of students and director for Health Services.

Students can call 574-1331 or go see Basco during the hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in his office at the Nobb’s Wellness Center.

Basco has a certification in the allied health field of athletic training and has been providing health related services for more than 15 years.

Basco listed a spectrum of over-the-counter medications as well as hygiene products that are available to students in order to help alleviate the occasional minor illness or event.

“Often a student will come to me with an illness that cannot be treated with just rest and over-the-counter products. In those situations I encourage the student to seek medical care. The university has an agreement with the Five Oaks Medical Group to see even uninsured students,” said Basco.

In the future Basco hopes to see a physician, physician’s assistant, or nurse-practitioner provide evaluation and treatment on campus at least one day a week. Until then he encourages students to utilize the health services provided for them in his office.