You’re Not In High School Anymore: Katie

Katie Fikes

[You’re Not in High School Anymore is a special three part series.]

“And now, I present to you the class of 2011.”  One simple sentence.  Ten simple words.  I had waited four years to hear this line uttered from my principal’s mouth.

When it finally fell upon my ears like an angelic voice from the heavens above, I threw my hat as high as I could.  I was out of this small town and onto bigger and better things.  College was waiting to experience its first taste of Katie Sue Fikes, and she was ready to experience her first taste of college.

I came to USAO from Marlow High School to play soccer for the Lady Drovers, but had no earthly idea what I wanted to do with my life.  So, I came in as an undeclared major.  I think that was the smartest decision I made during college.

If you don’t know what you want to do after college, I strongly advise you to come in open minded to any potential possibility.  There is an array of different paths that can be taken and ventured down during a typical college career.

However, there are many students who come in already knowing what they want to do, and possibly have known for sometime now.  If you are one of those lucky students, I still suggest you to come in with an open mind.

With USAO’s focus on liberal education, students are forced to think in ways they never have before.  This new way of thinking shapes and forms students into different people than they were in high school.

I’m not saying that everyone changes dramatically, but everyone will ever so slightly.  For example, let’s say that your favorite teacher of all time was your third grade teacher and ever since being in her class you have wanted to be a teacher.

Coming to USAO will help you reach that goal of becoming a great teacher and inspiring other kids to do the same.  However, there is a chance that the dream you have had since you were nine can be changed during your college experience.   Because of this, USAO is a great school for anyone and everyone to attend.  It makes your mind grow in ways that most are unaware that it could.

So, after my long and windy life story, here is everything summed up.  Here is my advice to all new students.  Because you aren’t going to be in high school anymore and are a big bad college student, remember to be open-minded and not afraid to follow new ideas learned during your stay at USAO.