Murphey Emerges Victorious at Battle at WC

Grant+Murphey%2C+champion+of+the+Battle+at+Winter+Creek%2C+looks+to+sink+a+putt+earlier+this+season+at+USAOs+home+course.+

Emily Loughridge

Grant Murphey, champion of the Battle at Winter Creek, looks to sink a putt earlier this season at USAO’s home course.

Caleb Smith, Contributing Writer

USAO golf hosted their second tournament in program history this week. The tournament was dubbed the Battle at Winter Creek, which is the home course for USAO’s golf teams. Winter Creek Golf and Social Club (Par 72, 7099 yards) was a beautiful setting to have eight teams from across the region battle it out on the challenging course which was in tip-top condition. USAO held a strong lead throughout day one, but ended with a tie for 2nd place. The men shot 301, 307, 317 for a total of 925.  

The big story of the tournament is the stuff of legends. Senior Grant Murphey played lights out to take the Drover dub in a huge individual 1st place win. In the final stretch of the 54-hole tournament, Murphey was three strokes behind the lead. On his 15th hole of the third round, Murphey had a great drive on the 543-yard, par 5 hole. He proceeded to hit a 6 iron to about six feet. From there, Murphey drained the putt to claim an eagle just as the previous leader took a bogey. These two plays tied the tournament in a clutch turning point. On his final hole, Murphey secured his 1st place position with a birdie. Murphey shot 71, 77, and 74 throughout three rounds for a total of 222 (+6).  

Two more Drovers found themselves within the top 10. Tate Trotter tied for 2nd with scores of 74, 76, and 76 for a total of 224 (+8). Luke O’Dell also found himself towards the top of the leaderboard. O’Dell shot 82, 73, and 75 to total 230 (+14) to earn a 9th place finish.  

To lead the team score, Conner Cryer, after an uncharacteristic first round, pulled out a tied 12th finish. Cryer shot 84, 74, and 74 to total 232 (+16). Senior Caleb Smith after a hot start cooled off to secure a 14th place finish. Smith shot 74, 79, and 81 to total 234 (+18). Freshman Jaeden Ellis had a consistent game which led to his 15th place finish. Ellis had scores of 78, 78, and 79 to total 235 (+19).  

International powerhouse, Luca Gisler grinded to secure a spot within the top 20. His 18th place finish came from his scores of 78, 76, and 83 respectively to total 237 (+21).  Sophomore Jax Brewer through unfortunate circumstances was unable to complete the tournament, therefore he was disqualified.  

These Drovers will be back in action October 10th and 11th in Newtown, KS. USAO’s golf teams are edging towards the end of their season with two tournaments left this fall.  

Caleb Smith is a fourth-year Biology major from the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.