USAO Drover Softball Team Takes A Two-Game Sweep Against Northwood Lady Knights After Splitting Series With Texas Wesylan

Jake McGuire

After splitting the series on Friday with Texas Wesleyan, the USAO Drovers fought hard on Saturday afternoon and took a two-game sweep over the Lady Knights, winning 1-0 and 2-1.

Early in the first game Northwood’s offense was finding all the right spots to place the ball and was leading USAO in the hit category. However, the Drover defense held strong and got the outs they needed to keep the Lady Knights off the board.  The Drovers scored the first and only run in the bottom of the fourth inning. Senior Taylor Smith went 2-for-3 at the plate, and scored a run.

In the second game USAO drew first blood in the bottom of the first inning after Freshman Kaylin Taylor stole third and went home on an error committed by the Northwood infield. Freshman Dani Warren also produced for the Drover offense going 1-for-3 at the plate. Warren hit a single in the bottom of the fourth to score Freshman McKenna Eubank and the winning run. Freshman Tate Landmark had a good showing on the mound for the Drovers. Landmark pitched all seven innings, and recorded five strikeouts and only allowed one run.

USAO will go on the road to face No. 5 Saint Gregory’s on April 8. The Drovers return home on April 10 to face Mid-America Christian in a double-header. First game will start at 2 p.m.