The Accent Is Calling All Artists For Submissions!

Brittani Mulkey

Calling all artists! The Accent has extended the deadline for submissions to Friday, Feb. 14.  To submit your artwork, simply go to The Accent’s Facebook page, which can be found at facebook.com/TheAccent, where a submission link is provided.

The Accent has made a few changes to the layout of the journal this year. For the first time, the journal will be printed in color, so artworks can be submitted in color as well as in black and white. The journal is also accepting music submissions for the first time, which will be featured on The Accent’s webpage.

On accepting music submissions, Dr. Meagan Rodgers, assistant professor of English and adviser to The Accent, said, “Last year Dr. Weber approached me about including music. There were several obstacles because you can’t just print audio. We had to have a web presence for that to make sense, and this year we do for the first time.”

Links for the music will be included in the print version of the journal. The links will lead readers to the website where the music will be hosted.

The Accent, a student run art and literature journal, was created in 2011. Since then, the journal has released two issues during the spring trimesters. The journal consists of artwork created by students, which is then selected by a group of student editors for publication. Artwork featured in the journal includes prose, poetry, photography, digital art, paintings and music.

Rodgers first proposed the idea of the journal in 2011 to interested creative writing students.

Rodgers said, “I thought it was a lack that we didn’t have some sort of undergraduate publication. Part of being in college is experimenting with your education and your expression, especially at our school which is so invested in being interdisciplinary and encouraging students to think and be creative.”