Making Plans Achieving Old or New Goals in the New Year

trendadmin

Here we are, back at USAO after a refreshing break.  We’ve made it through the first full week of classes and it’s time to jump into this new year full of positivity as we return to the swing of homework, hanging out with friends, and working.

Last trimester was full of self-reflection and growth for some. For others, it was a time of just trying to figure out the whole college thing.  No matter where you were last trimester, now is the time to continue moving forward toward new or old goals.

For me, last semester held major changes for the Trend as well as an ethics in communication class that lead me to think for myself about my personal beliefs and professional philosophies. It was a time of growth. I became strong in my identity. This year, I am looking forward to growing even more in my beliefs.

Transfer student Annie Hartwig, a junior/senior history major, said, “Last semester was a bit difficult for me because this is my first year in Chickasha away from home.  This semester I need to work on just being comfortable here.”

Jose Medina, freshman physics major, said, “Last semester went great.  I’ve had a great college experience here.  So far this semester has been great too.”  He plans to make better grades in the new trimester.

Everyone seems optimistic about the new year so far, but how can we keep this optimism going strong throughout the year?  Is setting goals enough? Or could there be more to it than that?

A goal without a plan is just a dream.  Planning is important to reaching the goals we have set for ourselves.  If I tell myself I am going to get in shape this year by eating right and exercising, then I must also tell myself how I will do those things.

Jackie Knapp, associate professor of art, explained that artists plan out their pieces in advance to achieve their goals.  When starting work on the mural on the side of First National Bank in Chickasha, Knapp and Kent Hollis researched for two years before starting in on painting, which took four to five weeks.

Knapp said, “The amount of planning is very extensive.  Even for a small painting you’ve got to do preliminary drawings, or sketches, color theory, you have to have a color scheme and design plan so it doesn’t just happen.”

I might start by making a grocery list full of healthy food choices and finding healthy recipes.  Then, I might write out or find a daily workout plan that works for me and schedule times to hit the gym.  After finding my goal and working out a plan, I am then responsible for sticking to it.  I have to find good, healthy motivation for reaching this goal.

Medina said his motivation for his plan of making better grades is to study harder than last semester.  “My motivation is to hopefully get a good job after I graduate from here.  That’s what I think about every day, so that’s what keeps me going,” he said.

We all have different perspectives of how this new year will or should turn out and what it will hold along the way.  We also have different goals we are reaching for this year.

The truth is that no one knows what is going to happen.  That should make things all the more fun and exciting.  We all have the adventure of planning and working for our goals as well as many unpredictable events ahead of us for this year, so let’s make it a great one.