Concert Band & Key Players Performance to be Rescheduled After Cancelation Due to Weather

Kaci Shanahan

The USAO Concert Band performance was canceled after a winter storm hit Chickasha Friday afternoon. The concert was scheduled to also feature Key Players, a rock ensemble group on campus. Although the new performance date hasn’t been determined yet, Dr. Dan Hanson is excited to see his students show off their skills.

“The keyboard group demonstrates complex and powerful sounds. We showcase the richness of synthesizer with unique arrangements of challenging rock hits,” said Dr. Dan Hanson, professor of music and director of both groups.

Arrangements for the Key Players include several rock classics, featuring the music of Kansas, Queen, the Beatles, the Edgar Winter Group, and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Famous marches and ragtime music arrangements performed by the concert band will include “The Thunderer” by John Philip Sousa, “Under The Double Eagle” by J.F. Wagner, and also master works by Vaclav Nelhybel and Howard Hanson.

“Both groups showcase an impressive range of talent,” said Hanson.

Performers vary in major, as these groups are open to anyone who enjoys performing music.

According to band member Chris Jordan, playing in the band is “a welcome break from the routine of classroom studies. The USAO Concert Band provides a quality performing experience for everyone.”

Members of the Key Players are music majors Nathan Allen of Amber, Zev Stein of Oklahoma City, Bret Embry of Oklahoma City, Glenn Finley of Oklahoma City and Hanson.

The concert band has about 30 members, divided almost evenly between music majors and non-music majors.

Hanson said these groups are both forms of education and entertainment that can help meet degree and curriculum requirements. There are also scholarships available to each performing member.

Students who are interested in information about auditioning and performing may contact Hanson at 574-1297.