Timeless Tuesday: The First Droverstock in USAO History

trendadmin

“Droverstock Music Festival Set June 29” was an article featured in the June 29, 1995 edition of The Trend.

USAO’s first ever student-government-sponsored rock festival is scheduled Thursday, reports Joshua Glass, student activities director.

The idea for Droverstock ’95 Music Festival, a spinoff of Woodstock, came to Glass and Anna Dudding in a communication course last semester dealing with team management of projects. “It really is phenomenal how a little idea like Droverstock can actually become a reality with encouragement and help from fellow students and university personnel,” Glass said. Dudding serves as assistant director of student activities.

Soon after the idea surfaced, the prospect of having a summer rock festival on the campus soon swept the Student Senate and student body. “Support from the administration and university staff has been overwhelming.” Dudding said. “If attendance is high enough the festival will hopefully progress into an annual event.”

Droverstock is scheduled to kick off in the USAO oval at 4 p.m.

Five music groups are scheduled. “Most of the bands are local and a couple of them are out of town groups,” Dudding said. The bands are Prro Iris, Row 19, Triumphant Disco Dancer, Brother Tentacle, and Love Button. All music is open to the public and free of charge.

Campuswide activities are also planned for USAO students with the current school IDs. The Droverstock Volleyball Tournament sponsored by Residence Hall Council (RHC) will begin at 5 p.m. Registration for the volleyball tournament will start at 4 p.m. A hamburger and hotdog cookout begins at 5:30 p.m. Watermelons will be served at 8:30 p.m. Droverstock will be ending with an evening swim in the USAO Swimming Pool starting at 10:30 p.m.

Student clubs and organizations are also sponsoring actives such as a tug of war, a dunking booth, a t-shirt sales.

SAC is expecting a sizeable turnout. Organizers ask that people please not litter the campus, or bing alcohol onto university grounds.