Fighting Life’s Trouble as a College Student

Girl Crying of Sadness

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Girl Crying of Sadness

Sturk Johnson

When we watch the news, we see many stories that often bother and anger us beyond belief. Think of all the stories of abused women or abandoned children. These stories are hard to watch and bring tears to the eyes of many.

For example, take the story of an elderly woman who was beaten by someone hired to care for her and watch over her to ensure that she is well. Have you ever stopped to think that, somewhere in America, there might be a college student related to that woman struggling to study and keep their grades up in the midst of that sadness?

We push these stories to the back of our minds, and we forget that these stories also affect the friends and families close to the victims.

As we walk the campus, without knowing we pass faces masking the hurt from something they couldn’t control. Students deal with parents who have alcohol and drug addiction or family members who passed away mid-trimester.

Imagine trying to study in a dorm where your roommate is in a great mood while you just want to cry from all the pain trapped inside of you. This is a very real story that many students have experienced.

Recent graduate and USAO basketball player Adrian Garcia knows the struggles of trying to do the right thing. He once shared with me the battling feelings he had within himself about wanting to go home and make money for his son or stay in school and earn his degree to better his family in the long run. It is sad that students have to make these difficult decisions, sometimes on their own.

Other students that live far away from their families experience the same pressures and anxieties.

“When my family is having problems back home it bothers me because I’m not there to help,” Nicholas Alberto, a senior from Paris, France said. “But  I talk to my closest friends to calm down.”

Hopefully every student has someone they feel comfortable talking about any aspect of their lives with. One can only imagine the pain of those who is keep their every heartache trapped inside.

Students can visit their schools campus counselor for advice anytime they need assistance with the matters of their life. It is free and an affordable option for young college students.

You can also visit the local churches in your area. Find one that fits your belief and simply walk in. For someone who believes in God, look in your bible and find a scripture that speaks to you and your situation or the Qur’an for students of Muslim faith.

Hopefully your school has approachable professors and advisors who are thrilled to sit down and chat with students. Office hours are posted on their door or the campus website.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.”  – Reinhold Niebuhr