Back-to-Back Victories for the Drovers and Cryer

Five Drovers finished in the top ten in Arkansas
Sophomore+Luca+Gisler+watches+his+putt+roll+towards+the+hole+during+a+practice+round+in+the+fall.+
Emily Loughridge
Sophomore Luca Gisler watches his putt roll towards the hole during a practice round in the fall.

USAO’s men’s golf team continue to burn bright as they snagged their 7th team championship and second team win of the season. The team traveled to play in the CBC Invite hosted at Cypress Creek Golf Course (Par 72, 7392 yards) in Cabot, Arkansas. USAO was one of 11 teams in the tournament.

The 54-hole tournament had each team walking the course for their three rounds as they began play Monday, Mar. 18 and concluded Tuesday, Mar. 19. In the last week, the Drovers moved up in ranking to #22 in the NAIA.

USAO took a five-man squad, including sophomore Conner Cryer, senior Jax Brewer, sophomore Jaeden Ellis, senior Caleb Smith, and senior Tate Trotter. By the final hole, the team had rounds of 298 (+10), 295 (+7), 297 (+9) to total 890 (+26). This score placed the Drovers 14 strokes ahead of the second-place host team Central Baptist College, who are ranked #31 nationally.

Cryer, the team’s one bag, walked away with his second individual win of the season after shooting 76 (+4), 71 (-1), and 69 (-3) to end even par on the course. His third round was the best round the team put up, and his final round moved Cryer up four slots to take the lead. Cryer currently ranks 80th out of all the men’s golfer in the NAIA.

Smith, the team’s four bag, finished tied for 5th overall after rounds of 73 (+1), 75 (+3), and 74 (+2). He totaled 222 (+5) and moved up one slot due to his final round score.

Ellis, the team’s three bag, had consistent rounds of 73 (+1), 73 (+1), and 77 (+5). His efforts earned him a tied 7th finish.

Brewer totaled 229 (+13) after shooting rounds of 76 (+4), 76 (+4), and 77 (+5). He finished tied 17th in the tournament. Trotter rounded out the team with scores of 78 (+6), 79 (+7), and 77 (+5) for a tied 23rd finish.

Four individual players, whose scores did not contribute to USAO’s team score, traveled with the team including junior Luke O’Dell, sophomore Luca Gisler, freshman Cooper Hardison, and freshman Tucker McDonald.

Gisler led USAO’s individuals with scores of 75 (+3), 71 (-1), and 76 (+4), which earned him a tied 5th finish alongside his teammate, Smith.

Next, Hardison and McDonald seemed neck-in-neck after day one. Hardison shot 77 (+5) and 74 (+2) while McDonald reversed it with rounds of 74 (+2) and 77 (+5). Their third rounds separated them as Hardison shot 74 (+2) to earn a tied 10th finish and McDonald shot 75 (+3) for a tied 14th finish.

O’Dell finished 31st after recording rounds of 81 (+9), 79 (+7), and 78 (+6).

The team will have a short break before they return for their third tournament. The Drovers will travel to Manhattan, Kansas Monday, Apr. 8 through Tuesday, Apr. 9 for the Midwest Spring National Invitational.

Emily Loughridge is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.