The Student News Site of University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma

The Trend

The Trend

The Trend

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

The Trend (@thetrendusao) • Instagram photos and videos

Facebook

Bloomfield Makes Her Mark from Behind the Arc

Jordan Bloomfield steps back to shoot from behind the line in an earlier matchup this season.

USAO women’s basketball team (13-6, 9-4 SAC) faced the University of North Texas at Dallas (UNTD) (2-11, 2-11 SAC) Trailblazers Saturday, Jan. 27. In the game prior Thursday, Jan. 25, the Drovers played Southwestern Assembly of God University (SAGU) and won 69-64. Thanks to that win on Thursday, USAO held a record of 8-4 in the conference where they sat in fourth place.

The Drovers got off to a hot start from three-point range in this matchup, scoring 11 out of their 17 points from behind the arc in the first quarter. Senior guard Jordan Bloomfield had 11 of the 17 first quarter points and made three three-pointers along with four rebounds.

In the second quarter, USAO played solid defense against UNTD keeping their shooting percentage at a mere 30.8%. Junior forward Crystal Ortiz showed her ability to get points on the board, scoring nine points and making all of her shots including one three-pointer. Going into halftime, USAO held a 41-25 lead over the Trailblazers.

Shooting 61.5% total for the quarter and hitting all three of their shots from beyond the arc, USAO continued to shine in the third. Bloomfield, Ortiz, and junior guard Diaka Berete all had six points this quarter. Senior forward Lainey Morrow also added five points to the total. Bloomfield got her six points from two more three-pointers.

The fourth quarter consisted of continued dominance by USAO, holding the Trailblazers to nine points the entire quarter where they shot 17.6% from the field. Freshman guard Devyn Harris and junior forward Trinitee Alexander sealed the deal for the Drovers scoring six points each, with Harris knocking down two three-pointers. USAO finished the game in outstanding fashion, winning 81-51 against UNTD.

Bloomfield led the Drovers in points with 17 on the game along with eight rebounds, three assists, and a steal. Ortiz had a double-double on the night, with 15 points and ten rebounds. Alexander came off the bench and put up 14 points for USAO along with nine rebounds, one assist, and one steal. Berete and Morrow also put up double digit points, with 12 for Berete and 11 for Morrow.

The Drovers will be on the road for their next matchup to Texas Wesleyan University Monday, Jan. 29 for a 6 p.m. game.

Matthew Yokum is a second-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.

Ray Thomas-Lapham