Drovers Slip Against SAGU with Eight-Point Loss

The+Drovers+rally+together+during+a+game+in+mid-January.+
Laura Barrios Bardi
The Drovers rally together during a game in mid-January.

USAO men’s basketball team (13-6, 8-5 SAC) faced a tall task Thursday, Jan. 25, playing against Southwestern Assemblies of God University (SAGU) (14-5, 10-3 SAC), which is the #25 ranked team in the NAIA.  

The Drovers started out rough in the first half, being outscored 17-2 in the first five minutes of action. USAO would begin to turn it around though after junior guard Tre Edwards and junior guard Tyler Cauley would record their first steals of the night.  

USAO began to catch up as junior guard Jayden Patcha made a three-pointer to make the score 30-26, in favor of the Lions, at the eight-minute mark. The offense for SAGU would turn the heat back up though as they put up another 16 points for the remainder of the half. USAO was also catching fire, as senior guard Reggie Quezada scored five points, an assist, and a steal all in the last five minutes of the half. At halftime, USAO trailed the Lions 46-43.  

Beginning the second half, junior guard Jaden Harrell started off strong recording a rebound, an assist, and a three-point shot in the first few minutes. The teams would continue to go back and forth, keeping the game within five points of each other for the remainder of the game.  

With three minutes left in the game, the score was 86-85, in favor of SAGU. Despite keeping it close the entire half, USAO would commit three fouls and two turnovers which the Lions would capitalize on. In the final two minutes, the Lions extended their lead to 93-85. The last moments saw intense action, and in the end SAGU walked away with the victory with a score of 104-96.  

USAO led in rebounds and shot attempts, but SAGU had a higher shooting percent with 60.9% compared to USAO’s 53.4%. Both teams’ mistakes led to points for their opponent, USAO had 10 turnovers which provided 15 points for the Lions, and SAGU had eight turnovers which the Drovers scored 14 points off.  

USAO’s top three scorers were not in the starting line-up, but instead came off the bench in key moments. Quezada led the Drovers in points and recorded another double-double for the season, with 22 points and ten assists. Senior guard Anthony Ray scored 17 points. The third scorer for USAO was Patcha, who had 13 points. Junior forward Niieihii Blackbear also played well scoring 11 points and six rebounds while senior forward Rory Pantophlet scored ten points and had six rebounds as well.  

The Drovers will have their next matchup at home against the University of North Texas Dallas, Saturday, Jan. 27 tipping off at 3:45 p.m. 

Gary Jackson is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.