The Student News Site of University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma

The Trend

The Trend

The Trend

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

The Trend (@thetrendusao) • Instagram photos and videos

Facebook

“Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour Concert Film” (Movie Review)

After having unbelievable success on her tour, Taylor Swift created a movie for her fans to enjoy
Fans sat on the edges of their seats as the movie began on opening weekend.

Millions of people across the globe have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour Concert Film.” As a Taylor Swift enthusiast myself, I had also been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the film since its announcement in August. As for many people who could not physically attend “The Eras Tour” in person, the film was their chance to experience the joy of hearing Swift perform.

As a highly anticipated and sought-after film, Swift and her crew did not disappoint. Swift took the concert element of the experience to the next level with high picture and audio quality. Swift went to great lengths to ensure that the film was perfect. Even going as far as providing those who attended filming nights of the tour with larger light-up bracelets so they could be seen better in production. This movie was filmed over the first three nights of the last stop on the U.S. leg of the tour in Los Angeles, Cali. Swift’s team filmed it over three nights to ensure that they had the best shots possible.

As one would expect, the music was nothing but perfection. The sound quality was exceptional, and I could hear her voice so clearly with the emotions that she was expressing in her voice. Swift’s media team did a fantastic job with the video, audio, and editing quality of the whole film. When the “1989 World Tour” was filmed, the editing was questionable, the flashing lights made the film hard to follow, and it was all over the place. However, with “The Eras Tour,” the editing was much better and easier to follow.  

Ray Thomas-Lapham

Each Era in the film was introduced with an interesting and fantastic introduction. We did not get the long takes between the Eras as we did in the actual concert, my guess was to save time. The producers still made the Eras changes exciting. As Swift likes to do it, there were subtle hints or “Easter eggs” toward new rerecording of new albums, specifically, within the Reputation Era, and the credits for the Reputation Era at the end. 

My only complaint about the film would be how they cut some songs in order to make the film shorter. These songs included: “The Archer,” “no body, no crime,” “Long Live,” “cardigan,” and “Wildest Dreams.” All these songs would have been great in the film. However, the producers were attempting to shorten the movie, so they made a few cuts. I was incredibly excited to see and hear “Long Live” because I did not get to be in attendance at a show where she played that song. I was disappointed, but I knew that the end credits still included the audio track of “Long Live.” 

One of my favorite parts of the evening would be the atmosphere of the theater. When I attended the concert in Arlington, Tex., the atmosphere was amazing. Seeing everyone so excited to be there was a blast. The environment of this film was similar, as everyone in attendance was so excited for the show to start.

For many, this was their “Eras Tour” show, as not everyone got to attend the concert. People took this seriously, bringing friendship bracelets to trade (myself included), and dressing up for the big event. I think that the kids in attendance had the most fun, being up at the front of the theater, dancing and singing around. I also found it fun how the bigger chain theaters received popcorn buckets and drink cups that had the Eras on them. Of course, I had to pick up these items, and I also received a free mini poster on the first night that I attended. 

Overall, “The Eras Tour Concert Film” was an incredibly high-production and high-grossing. It was fun for all that were there, even the older people who attended with their grandkids. I would encourage anyone interested in seeing the film to go and see it and see it again and again if you can and are interested. I have seen it four times now, and while I may be a bit crazy, it really was that fun of an experience.

Elyanne Kenney is a second-year psychology major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.

Ray Thomas-Lapham