“Agoraphobia” Showcases Two Senior Artists

Destiny Miller and Zeke Simon open their show Monday, Nov. 13
Paul Tointigh
Destiny Miller (left) and Zeke Simon hang pieces on the third floor of Davis Hall in preparation of their show, “Agoraphobia.”

All majors have a capstone project that a student must complete before graduation, and the Art Department is no different. Two students are reaching the summit of their academic careers this upcoming week, and will present years of their work in an art show.

Destiny Miller, a senior art major, and Zeke Simon, a senior art major, will display the culmination of all of their art produced at USAO. This BFA Art Exhibition, called the “Agoraphobia,” will display Miller’s and Simon’s pieces from Monday, Nov. 13 to Saturday, Dec. 2 in the art gallery located on the third floor of Davis Hall.

“You have to start really early, as it is a culmination of all of our work here at USAO,” Miller said. “They encourage you to start preparing during sophomore year, and we both choose painting and illustrations for ours.”

Miller’s exhibit will feature an introspective theme, with both illustrations and paintings on display. Simon will display all illustrations, with a clear theme of emotion.

“My exhibit is focused more on the emotional stuff I go through based on using my body as the subject matter,” Simon said. “I just try to express the deeper things that are going on internally. They are common emotions that we all feel as humans, even if they are negative.”

As they are both seniors, Miller and Simon have spent years within the Art Department. Simon said that he found his direction with the help of resident artists and professors, such as former art instructor Jerry Bennet and Wendy Chambers, assistant professor of art.

“I picked USAO because the art program wanted you to teach as much as possible, and I found out that digital art is the direction I wanted to go in,” Simon said. “My art has grown in the past year due to the help of all of the wonderful faculty here in the Art Department.”

Miller said they have also found a sense of artistic direction during their time at USAO.

“I came here with digital illustration in mind, but USAO offers so many avenues to explore. I found myself taking sculpting and pottery and I definitely found more interest in that. I switched into painting because I found that I excelled in that medium in particular,” Miller said.

With “Agoraphobia” being their final hoorah at USAO, both Simon and Miller said they have made plans for what to do with their careers after they leave.

“I immediately want to get into freelancing and doing commissions for people,” Miller said. “I eventually plan on setting up an online store to sell my works in the future.”

Miller also said that they would love to eventually work at Dreamworks studios as a concept artist, as they grew up watching Dreamworks films.

“I want to move to Denver and get into the comic scene, and I want to become a comic-colorist,” Simon said. “I want to get into a bigger city and break into the comic industry with an entry-level job.”

The BFA Art Exhibition is something that both art majors have been working towards for the last two to three years, and have found it an emotional aspect to putting the show together as well.

“It’s definitely a lot more soul-bearing than I thought it would be, but I hope people enjoy it,” Simon said.

“I hope people enjoy the show, as it is very personal,” Miller said. “I hope people see it, feel it, and enjoy it.”

Once again, Miller’s and Simon’s pieces will be on display in “Agoraphobia” from Monday, Nov. 13 until Saturday Dec. 2, with a closing ceremony to take down the remaining art. Those interested in potentially purchasing the art on display can contact Miller at @dmil0736@usao.edu or Simon at @zsim2197@usao.edu. Prices will be arranged by their respective creators.

Paul Tointigh is a fourth-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.