The Student News Site of University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma

The Trend

The Trend

The Trend

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

The Trend (@thetrendusao) • Instagram photos and videos

Facebook

Near 30-Point Lead Earns Drovers First Season Win

USAO beat ABC on Homecoming weekend
Anthont+Ray+points+out+a+play+to+his+teammate+in+the+Drover+Fieldhouse.+
Laura Barrios Bardi
Anthont Ray points out a play to his teammate in the Drover Fieldhouse.

Following Wednesday’s loss in the season opener, USAO bounced back in a big way against Arkansas Baptist College (ABC). Right away, the Drovers set the tone early and stayed consistent throughout the whole game.

The first half showed off USAO’s size advantage and ability to get to the rim, as the Drovers shot 17-31 (55%) in the first half, with only three of those baskets shot from behind the arc. USAO forced ABC’s hand and caused many turnovers, which USAO capitalized on with ten points scored off turnovers. The Drovers also saw a number of fast breaks and dunks in the first half.

Anthony Ray led the charge in the first half, scoring 11 of his 18 total points whilst shooting 50% from the field. Going into halftime, the Drovers led 42-31.

The second half started, and it was right back to business for USAO, for most of the half their lead stayed anywhere from 14 to 16 points. That was until the six-minute mark where it became the Reggie Quezada show. He only had two points going into halftime, but Quezada finished the game with 20 points on 70% shooting accuracy from the field. He went on an 8-0 run by himself to increase USAO’s lead to over 20 points.

USAO dominated the Buffaloes with a 92-64 win, showcasing their offense, shooting 53% from the field and 39% from the three-point line.

Ray followed closely behind Quezada, with 18 points, three rebounds, and three assists. Manny Gatkek found his rhythm as he recorded eight points, ten rebounds, and three blocks.

The men’s game was the designated Homecoming game, and it was a place of celebration as USAO Athletics celebrates 50 years of athletics. Players from the first and second basketball teams were honored, alongside other teams in program history, which created the foundation for the current Drover basketball programs.

Spencer Jennings was a player on the first ever USAO basketball team back in 1973, and he gave his thoughts on how the game has changed since he played on the court.

“The game is at a different speed then it once was, it’s a different type of structure when it comes to talent and how they put it together. The things they allow the players to do, they didn’t let us back then. Some of the calls that are made wouldn’t be made in our time, other than that it’s just a difference in athletes,” Jennings said.

He also talked about what it meant to be back at USAO and how it felt to be honored over the weekend. Jennings continued to say that the last time he was on campus was 50 years ago.

“There were personal situations here, not involving the school that changed my perception of life itself, what I love about it is that this gave me the foundation to move forward. In order for me to move forward I had to come back for this, it was a chip on my shoulder, something I had to do, but I love the school, and I love the culture,” Jennings said.

USAO’s next matchup will be against the Evangel University of the Assemblies of God, Nov. 6 at 6 p.m in Springfield, MO.

Preston Palm is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.

Ray Thomas-Lapham