The Student News Site of University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma

The Trend

The Trend

The Trend

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

The Trend (@thetrendusao) • Instagram photos and videos

Facebook

Torres and Moses Partner for National Hispanic Heritage Month

UHC and College Democrats will host an event Monday, Oct. 9 in the ballroom
Ryan+Moses+stands+by+their+table+at+the+Hispanic+Fiesta+Celebration+in+OKC%2C+and+they+prepare+for+their+event+Monday%2C+Oct.+9.+
Photo provided by Ryan Moses
Ryan Moses stands by their table at the Hispanic Fiesta Celebration in OKC, and they prepare for their event Monday, Oct. 9.

The United Hispanic Council (UHC) and the USAO College Democrats have joined together to host District 89 State Representative Arturo Alonso-Sandoval. The event will be held Monday, Oct. 9, and will have Alonso-Sandoval answering any questions that attendees may have. Everyone is welcome to attend, and the event will take place in the USAO Ballroom at 6 p.m. 

Alonso-Sandoval is a first-generation American with both of his parents immigrating from Mexico. Being the representative of the 89th district, which covers the southern part of Oklahoma City, he has had the opportunity to help and lead the community he grew up in at the young age of 24 years old.  

With this event happening during National Hispanic Heritage Month, UHC President Kaelynn Torres said she looks forward to having Alonso-Sandoval speak with their club.  

“I hope he can show us how to not be scared to ask representatives questions and how to speak and ask questions about events going on in the world,” Torres said.  

Torres also added that Hispanic people can struggle with having success in the world and hopes that Alonso-Sandoval can provide inspiration for them. 

As far as what Hispanic Heritage Month means to UHC, Torres described it as giving them the opportunity to appreciate their history. 

“We get to look back at the history of our families and culture and see how that can influence us today as well as continue on with our culture and share that knowledge with others,” Torres said. 

Along with providing insight to Hispanic individuals and supporting Hispanic Heritage Month, USAO College Democrats President Ryan Moses said they also hope that everyone will be able to understand the importance of state politics and how the younger generation can affect them.  

“Alonso-Sandoval has been able to break that idea or perception that politics is only for old white guys,” Moses said.  

They also added that they hope the audience can take away that everyone can be involved in state politics despite whatever background they may come from. 

This collaboration between the College Democrats and UHC is something that Mosessaid they have wanted to see more of at USAO.  

“As the Vice President of Student Government Association as well, we really wanted to see more clubs and organizations working together for events since we have such a small campus,” Moses said. 

They added that the College Democrats and UHC have both struggled with their clubs this year due to the turnover rate of positions and other factors. Torres and Moses said they felt that combining their clubs for this event would be a good way to bounce back into being a part of USAO’s clubs and organizations. 

UHC holds weekly meetings on Wednesdays at 5 p.m. in the Nash Library Music Pocket. The USAO College Democrats also have their weekly meetings on Wednesdays in the Nash Library Music Pocket beginning at 6 p.m. Anyone who is interested in learning more about either organization can attend one of these meetings or contact Torres or Moses for more information. 

Gary Jackson is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.

Ray Thomas-Lapham