The Student News Site of University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma

The Trend

The Trend

The Trend

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

The Trend (@thetrendusao) • Instagram photos and videos

Facebook

Brewer Brings Home His First Tournament Win

Jax Brewer recorded his first collegiate tournament win in Kansas
After+three+rounds+of+play+in+Kansas%2C+Jax+Brewer+was+named+the+Crestview+Invitational+winner%2C+which+is+the+first+collegiate+win+for+Brewer.+
Caleb Smith
After three rounds of play in Kansas, Jax Brewer was named the Crestview Invitational winner, which is the first collegiate win for Brewer.

Less than a week after their second tournament, USAO’s men’s golf team traveled north to Wichita, KS for the Crestview Invitational, which is played at Crestview Country Club on the North Course (Par 72, 6959). The men’s third tournament began Monday, Sept. 18 with two rounds and ended Tuesday, Sept. 19 with their final round. The Drovers challenged 11 other teams and placed 2nd overall as a team.

Jax Brewer, junior golfer, ended up winning the tournament individually after shooting three under overall. Brewer earned his first ever collegiate tournament win at the Crestview Invitational.

“Obviously it feels great to win a collegiate golf tournament, it has been a top goal of mine since I stepped foot here at USAO to accomplish something like this,” Brewer said. “There was a lot going through my mind in those final nine holes, but in the end just sticking to my routine and being patient is what helped me finish the way I needed to.”

The team was comprised of nine players; Five player’s scores went towards the team score while the remaining four played as individuals. Conner Cryer, Luca Gisler, Caleb Smith, Luke O’Dell, and Brewer contributed to the team’s score.

Brewer began the tournament with his best round, as well as the team’s best round. He tallied a 66 (-6) in his first round, giving Brewer a healthy first round head start. His second round cooled off in comparison with a 73 (+1) and finally his third round was 74 (+2). Overall, Brewer shot three under, which put him one stroke ahead of Park University’s Santiago Valdes.

Cryer kept playing a consistent game as he placed second individually. He began the tournament with his personal best round of 69 (-3). He followed it with a second round of 75 (+3) before completing the tournament with an even score of 72 (E). Each of Cryer’s three rounds were contributed to the team’s score.

Gisler tallied round scores of 81 (+9), 78 (+6), and 77 (+5) for a 29th place finish. O’Dell concluded with scores of 81 (+9), 78 (+6), and 75 (+3) for a 37th place finish. Finally, Smith finished 50th after shooting 80 (+8), 78 (+6), and 84 (+12).

As a team, the Drovers shot rounds of 296 (+8), 304 (+16), and 298 (+10) for a total of 898 (+34). USAO’s second place finish was 15 strokes behind the tournament winner, Park University.

USAO’s four individuals, whose scores did not contribute to the team score, included Jaeden Ellis, Tate Trotter, Cooper Hardison, and Tucker McDonald.

Ellis placed in the top five from the tournament as well. Ellis saw his best round in the final tournament round. He began by shooting one over par for a 73, before moving to a 75 (+3). Finally, he wrapped up the tournament with a 69 (-3).

Hardison found himself within the top ten with an overall score of 223 (+7). He shot rounds of 74 (+2), 77 (+5), and 72 (E). Trotter trailed closely with a 13th place finish, after scoring 69 (-3), 76 (+4), and 80 (+8). McDonald placed 22nd overall with scores of 76 (+4), 78 (+6), and 76 (+4).

After being on the road for the first three tournaments, the Drovers will play their home course, Winter Creek Golf & Country Club. The men’s team will rest up over the next week and play the Battle at Winter Creek Monday, Oct. 2 through Tuesday, Oct. 3.

“Playing a tournament at our home course always adds a little extra pressure,” Brewer said. “We all know Winter Creek like the back of our hand, if we take care of the little things the success will come.”

Last year, Grant Murphy, who graduated in the spring of 2023, played his way into the first-place spot.

Emily Loughridge is a third-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.

Ray Thomas-Lapham