The Student News Site of University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma

The Trend

The Trend

The Trend

Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

The Trend (@thetrendusao) • Instagram photos and videos

Facebook

Green & Gold Gala Raises $19K for Campus

Dr. Feaver hands off presidential torch to Dr. Hale
Dr. Feaver and President Hale stand side-by-side before the 2023 Green & Gold Gala began Saturday night.

Attendees dressed in their finest to honor USAO’s 12th President John H. Feaver Saturday, Sept. 16 night at the 2023 USAO Green and Gold Gala. The event was organized to commemorate Dr. Feaver and the legacy he is leaving as he enters retirement, after serving 43 years at USAO – 20 years as a faculty member and 23 years as president.

The Green and Gold Gala was held at the Oklahoma History Center and was attended by various USAO faculty, current and retired, community members, friends, family, and students. Dinner and cocktails were provided by Rococo on Western, and live music was provided by Dr. Jan Hanson and two students.

Money was raised for the university by a silent and live auction. The silent auction saw many items up for sale, with items donated from, but not limited to, Freddy Baeza, special instructor of art; Jeff Rutherford, technical director for visual and performing arts; Jeannette Loutsch, professor of biology, and merchandise donated from the OKC Thunder.

Rachel Jones, dean of the school of Science and Physical Education, worked with Jordan Vineyard, dean of the school of visual and performing arts, to gather the various items for sale during the silent auction.

“Jordan and I were on the silent auction collection committee,” Jones said. “We reached out to donors and got the materials. It was a lot of work by people who really care about the university, and it was our opportunity to give back to the donors for them giving so much to us over the time that they have been with us.”

Members of the USAO softball team were also in attendance to help run the silent auction and welcome guests. Attendees could scan a QR code that would take them to an app where they could see all of the pricings in real time. The silent auction ran until dinner was served to the guests. In all, the silent auction raised $3,600

After dinner was served and from opening remarks from Dawn Brockman, director of alumni relations and university development, and Vinyard, a video created by Intellego Media was played for those in attendance. Following the video, Vinyard and Paul Lewis led a five-item live auction. A cabin getaway in Broken Bow, two private lunches with President Hale, a dinner for four with chef Andrew Black, and an art piece by artist Don Holiday were items on bid. In all, the live auction raised $15,600.

According to Amy Goddard, director of communications and marketing, the money raised from both auctions will be going to the President’s Success Fund, student scholarships, faculty enrichment programs, and capital funds (for campus buildings).

After the auctions, Dex Marble talked about one of his biggest academic achievements – hiring Dr. Feaver as a faculty member at USAO. Afterwards, Dr. Feaver’s granddaughter Katy Feaver took the mic to give a speech about her grandfather’s contributions to the university, as well as to crack a couple of dad jokes, which she said Dr. Feaver often tells.

After his granddaughter retired from the stage, Dr. Feaver took the podium to address the audience. He gave his story and remarked on how much USAO changed his life, as well as USAO’s place in the greater community of Chickasha and even the world.

“I can thank the many colleagues I have at the college, and I’ve been fortunate to be in the particular position where I can help manage in kind the institution of organization,” Dr. Feaver said in his speech. “I can’t tell you the appreciation of the opportunities I’ve had to be involved in these relationships to not only share ideas, but have allowed me to act creatively in life.”

Nearing the conclusion of his speech, Dr. Feaver said that he enters his retirement with a sense of satisfaction.

“When I part with this retirement, I go home as a very satisfied individual. That I appreciate, and I count all in this room tonight as having contributed in one form or another.” Dr. Feaver said.

President Hale then took the podium, as Dr. Feaver returned to his seat, to speak on the legacy that Dr. Feaver is leaving behind. She also spoke on how USAO has changed her life as well, and how she is honored to be in the position she is in.

She also took the time to honor the alumni from the Oklahoma College for Women (OCW) and the Oklahoma College for Liberal Arts (OCLA) who were in attendance.

“This evening was inspiring, celebrating the legacy of an education leader who was so fundamentally important to USAO,” Dr. Hale said. “I’m honored to step into those very big shoes and carry on an amazing tradition that Dr. Feaver started.”

She also said that having three generations of the institution (OCW, OCLA, and USAO) was something that was near and special.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to celebrate this man,” Brockman said. “I think he’s really invested in the university, and we are excited to honor him tonight and give him the proper salute he deserves.”

Paul Tointigh is a fourth-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.

Ray Thomas-Lapham