Street & Greet Parks Downtown Once Again

Collaborative event invited campus and Chickasha downtown for memorable evening
Chickasha Avenue is crowded with vendors and students during the 2nd Annual Street & Greet event.

Parking was limited as food trucks, vendors, and live music flooded the streets of downtown Chickasha during the 2nd Annual Street & Greet, which is an event put on in collaboration between USAO, the Chickasha City Council, the Chamber of Commerce, and the City of Chickasha. The event is held near the beginning of USAO’s fall trimester in order to welcome students to Chickasha.

Along with the food trucks and vendors, many local businesses set up booths to interact with students, handing out goodie bags and some had chances to win prizes at their booths.

“It’s really cool to see what’s out there, since as a freshman I am new to the city,” Austin Jackson, a freshman history education major, said.

Jackson, who hails from Tuttle, said that the event helped him figure out where he wants to work to support him through college.

Art Wrecker Studios hosted an exhibition show during Street & Greet titled “Discovery.” The exhibition was created by Jeff Rutherford, technical director for visual and performing arts. The pieces on display were interactive and touching the art was in fact encouraged by Rutherford.

“The idea of this show is basically to forget that it’s not okay to touch art,” Rutherford said. “I want everyone to touch everything. Not just to touch it, but to be excited about touching it.”

Rutherford said that exploration and discovery were two themes he wanted to present in his exhibition, hence the name “Discovery.”

“If it breaks, it’s okay,” Rutherford said. “Never stop playing.”

Layne Thrift, director of the Nesbitt gallery, was in attendance at Rutherford’s exhibition. Thrift said that the entire Street & Greet was beyond his expectations, and he knows it will get bigger and better every year.

Students also got in on the action, finding themselves manning various booths. One such booth was located right outside of Art Wrecker Studios, where USAO alum Erin Kelley and Abbey Ummel, a sophomore art major, were selling their pieces. Chandler Leamon-Webb, a senior political science and history major, also helped with the booth.

“We’ve had students, professors, faculty, and people from the community of Chickasha visit the booth,” Leamon-Webb said.

Leamon-Webb said to come out and support the artists at the upcoming Second Friday Art Walk Friday, Oct. 8.

Some of the booths included local businesses, various local churches, and even a temporary tattoo booth. The food at the event included from snow cones to BBQ to pizza. Attendees also got a chance to sing their favorite songs on a karaoke stage, with many students deciding to show off their singing skills. Next to the stage was an inflatable basketball hoop and a batting area.

Zoe Brown, coordinator of Recruitment and Scholarships, said the collaboration between USAO, the City of Chickasha, the Chickasha City Council, and the Chickasha Chamber of Commerce is still going strong, which made the Street & Greet happen. She also said this year’s event was a success.

“It really helps get the freshman acquainted with the community and to learn what resources are available,” Brown said. “We’re going to keep doing it every single year for as long as we can.”

Annie Roberts, student life & housing coordinator, said that this year’s incoming freshman class was the largest incoming class in two decades.

“We’re super grateful to everyone who came out to Street & Greet, and we hope they keep coming out to explore Chickasha and help the city grow,” Roberts said.

Paul Tointigh is a fourth-year communication major at the Univeristy of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.