Freshmen Introduced to Campus and Community during Orientation

Incoming freshmen treated to three free rides at annual Grady County Fair
Mary-Grace McNutt
The Grady County Fair, located 500 E Choctaw Ave, is set up and ready for its estimated 12,000-15,000 visitors, including USAO’s incoming freshmen.

The incoming freshmen class during Freshman Orientation will be treated to an event happening for the first time.

Freshman Orientation is a three-day event where incoming freshman and transfer students are introduced to campus life and culture through various fun activities. USAO is partnering with the Grady County Fair and the Chickasha Chamber of Commerce to give all participating in orientation three free rides during the fair Saturday, Aug. 26.

Jamie Jones, director of marketing and events of the Grady County Fair, is working closely with USAO’s Zoe Brown, coordinator of recruitment and scholarships, to make the collaboration happen between the three entities.

“Some of the freshmen may have never been to a fair, or have never been to our fair,” Jones said. “This is our first year to partner with USAO. We average about twelve-to-fifteen thousand in attendance, and having 250 more attendees is exciting.”

Jones calls the Grady County Fair one of the “biggest little fairs” in Oklahoma.

Not only will the freshmen be treated to the events one would expect at a fair, but they will also be introduced to the community of Chickasha as a whole.

“It [the fair] is introducing the freshman to the community of Chickasha,” Brown said. “They will also have a chance to interact with the community during the Chickasha Street & Greet during Welcome Week this year as well.”

Brown said the second annual Chickasha Street & Greet was scheduled to happen during Welcome Week, but this conflicted with the Grady County Fair. Therefore, the Street & Greet was moved to Thursday, Aug. 31, and the freshmen attending the fair was planned instead.

On Saturday, Aug. 26, shuttles will be provided to all freshmen for transportation to and from the fair. The students will visit the fair from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

This is the first time that the Grady County Fairgrounds, Chickasha Chamber of Commerce, and USAO have partnered to make such an event happen. USAO has worked with the Chamber of Commerce to make the first annual Street & Greet happen.

Jones said that this is a great “test run” of the event, and if it works out, she hopes to see this become an annual thing.

“It’s exciting to work in a new partnership with USAO, and it’s nice that they reached out to us and to just have that connection that we’ve never had before,” Jones said.

Brown echoed the excitement of the blossoming partnership.

“It’s been a communicated process working with the Chamber and the Fair,” Brown said. “It’s really exciting and innovative to communicate with the Chamber. I did coordinate with Jamie, and she’s been a big help in getting all of this planned out.”

The dates for this year’s Grady County Fair are Aug. 24 through Aug. 26. The hours for Aug. 24 and Aug. 25 will be from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., and on Aug. 26 it is open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. The fair has free admission, but rides and food will cost.

The date for the second annual Chickasha Street & Greet will be Thursday, Aug. 31 from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

Paul Tointigh is a fourth-year communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.