Drovers Finish Third at Rose Creek

The+green+on+the+18th+hole+at+Rose+Creek+Golf+Club+overlooks+a+small+pond%2C+which+ten+golf+teams+played+at+during+the+Allen+B.+Pease+Intercollegiate+Tournament+in+OKC.+

Caleb Smith

The green on the 18th hole at Rose Creek Golf Club overlooks a small pond, which ten golf teams played at during the Allen B. Pease Intercollegiate Tournament in OKC.

Caleb Smith, Contributing Writer

The USAO men’s golf team kicked off a three-week stretch of tournaments with a third-place finish at the Allen B. Pease Intercollegiate hosted by Oklahoma City University (OCU). The tournament was named after a man who had great impact on youth golf in Oklahoma City. He said “young golfers make good citizens,” in which he hoped to install in each and every young golfer he came in contact with. The tournament was held at Rose Creek Golf Club (Par 72, 7048 yards). The Drovers held tough through freezing conditions to start out each day in the 54-hole tournament to shoot rounds of 307, 293 and 312 to total 912 (+48). Out of ten teams competing in the tournament the Drovers snagged the third-place finish, after two other Sooner Athletic Conference (SAC) teams OCU and Texas Wesleyan.  

Leading the team scores was Jax Brewer, with another top ten finish. The sophomore tallied eight birdies and 35 pars lead to rounds of 75, 72, and 75 to total 222 (+6) and earn an 8th place. Freshman Conner Cryer kept up his impressive first collegiate year for a tied 22nd finish with consistent rounds of 76, 77, and 78 to total 231 (+15). Senior Caleb Smith had quite the roller coaster of a tournament finishing alongside Cryer. Yet, Smith shot rounds of 76, 70, and 85 to total 231 (+15). The round of 70 (-2) is tied with the second best of the tournament noting a solid second round. Senior Grant Murphey tied for 30th with hard fought rounds of 80, 76, and 78 to total 234 (+18). To finish out team scoring, junior, Tate Trotter tied for 42nd place with rounds of 84, 75, and 81 to total 240 (+24).  

Topping the individuals is Swiss legend Luca Gisler who racked in a top 15 finish. Gisler shot solid rounds of 75, 75 and 77 to total 227 (+11) and earn 13th place. In the first hole of the tournament, Gisler started hot with an eagle, which was two under par for the hole. Freshman Jaeden Ellis finished tied at 42nd with rounds of 80, 75, and 85 to total 240 (+24). Following pursuit for the same finish was Luke O’Dell with rounds of 78, 76, and 86 to total 240 (+24).  

USAO’s men’s and women’s golf teams will be back in action at the Park Spring Classic held at The Deuce at the National Golf Club of Kansas City Monday, April 3rd and Tuesday, April 4th in Kansas City, Missouri.

Caleb Smith is a fourth-year Biology major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.