Spring Break Starts with Chickasha’s Art Walk

Chickashas+second+art+walk+will+take+place+in+downtown+Chickasha+this+evening.+

Emily Loughridge

Chickasha’s second art walk will take place in downtown Chickasha this evening.

Thomas Buchanan, Contributing Writer

Downtown Chickasha recently kicked off its new monthly art walk which created a way to showcase local artists. Businesses host artists and display their artwork, both indoors and outdoors. Friday, March 10th, will be the second art walk of the year. The art walks take place every second Friday of the month and lasts from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. There is no booth fee for participating artists. It is a great opportunity to see what USAO’s art students and Chickasha’s creative community have to offer. The art walks were organized by Dana Helms and the Chickasha Arts Council.

The event launched last month on February 10th and included many Valentines’ Day themed presentations. The most notable of these was Art Wrecker’s “Art Breaker” show, which also hosted a live band and stand-up comedy routine. This month, Art Wrecker will display the “Un(SEEN)” exhibition and have a performance by USAO’s Chamber Ensemble at 6:15 p.m. to celebrate the gallery’s first anniversary.

Other stops along downtown include the Chickasha Community Theatre, the Bookstore on the Corner, the Chickasha Art Center, the Chickasha Area Arts Council, Jay’s Jewelry, Okie Mountain Trading Co., Alexander Eats, Steegman’s, Iron Tree Coffee Co., Brink’s Downtown Boutique, Legendary Bicycles, and many others. As in the title, the point of the art walk is for visitors to explore open businesses, walking the downtown stretch of Chickasha Ave. Even if there is not a table out front, there could still be art to see on the inside of these local businesses.

The event stretches from 1st to 6th street, with the farthest hosting business being the Chickasha Art Center between 5th and 6th street. The Chickasha Art Center will host several artists, so be sure not to miss them and others that are further down.

Come down to support USAO and Chickasha artists and start the spring break with a night on the town. For questions on how to participate in the upcoming art walks, contact Dana Helms at 405-203-2834.

Thomas Buchanan is a first-year Art major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.