Ring in Luck for the New Year

Emily Loughridge

The Loughridge family, including Ryan, Shanna, and Emily, enjoy a meal together. Many families have different New Years traditions including food.

Matthew Yokum, Contributing Writer

Around the world, New Year’s is celebrated with ball drops, breaking plates, and sometimes the celebration is as simple as eating grapes. There are many people looking to start their year off on a positive note and rely on luck and superstitions to make their year great. That said, what New Year’s superstitions do people practice around campus? 

A common superstition in America is eating black-eyed peas the first day of the new year. This is supposed to give you good luck for the new year. It stems from the American Civil War, where soldiers felt lucky to eat the black-eyed peas and survive winter. This superstition is commonly found in the South but can be found across the United States as a symbol for good luck and prosperity.  

Senior Montana Patzack always eats black-eyed peas with her family, but she also mentioned another superstition they have that is quite unique.  

“We eat grilled cabbage on New Year’s in my family. It is supposed to bring you money and wealth but sadly that hasn’t happened yet,” said Patzack. 

Sometimes, the superstitions practiced are not in any way related to food, though. For Quentin Mantooth, he said he practices a different type of superstition involving chores.  

“During New Year’s I have a superstition where I cannot do any laundry or dishes because it will wash away all my good luck. I’ve been tempted to break it before, but I controlled myself and decided to stay on the couch and soak in all the good luck instead,” said Mantooth.

Matthew Yokum is a first-year Communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.