Six Reasons Students Should Go to Soccer Games

Zach Geary

USAO’s men’s and women’s soccer teams are nationally ranked and now have lights on their fields. Here are a few reasons you should watch your Drovers play this season!

Mckenna Eubank

Not only is soccer the most popular sport in the world, but it is a great pastime for USAO students. Here are the top six reasons that all students should go support the Drovers this season.

1. It’s free.

It’s no secret that most college students are restricted to a tight budget. According to USNews.com, college students may spend close to $4,000 on personal expenses like clothes, entertainment, and food. Soccer games have no admission fees, so it’s a great way to enjoy some free entertainment.

1. The men’s and women’s teams are both ranked as top 25 in the nation.

Both teams have a chance to go really far in the season, so who wouldn’t want to experience them perform? Not to mention, some athletes would say that being ranked highly is a lot more pressure than not being ranked at all, so the teams need all the support they can get.

1. The games are entertaining.

If you like suspenseful books, movies or TV shows, you will like soccer. More sports injuries occur in soccer than in any other contact sport in the world. Of course we hope our Drovers will stay healthy, but there is no doubt that the game will keep you on your toes.

1. The soccer teams need your support.

Even if you’re not on the soccer team, as a fellow Drover we should be supportive of the teams that represent our university. More cheering from the student section means more motivation for the soccer players. More motivation for the soccer players means more hustle and, ultimately, more wins.

1. The Drover soccer field has lights for the first time.

Thanks to a generous donation to the university, the athletes have a much more flexible schedule for practicing, and playing games. The athletes can now play at night, which means they will no longer have to miss class for their sport. Many athletes and fans alike, also agree that playing underneath the lights, or watching night games, is an amazing experience.

1. Winter is around the corner.

It is now September, which means summer is coming to an end. Soccer games are a great way to enjoy the outdoors while we still have warm sunlight. Shade trees also cover a lot of the stands at the soccer field, so anyone can enjoy the game without getting uncomfortably hot.