Free Tutoring Labs Now Available

Zach Geary

Tutors Connor Cheek, senior math major from Chickasha, and Alexander Gonzalez, freshman math major from Yukon, going over various elements of mathematics with Tiffany Lewis, freshmen art major from Guthrie.

Jordan Geary

Free tutoring labs are now available for USAO students. Both the Writing Center and the Math and Science Center are located on the third floor of the Nash Library and are tutored by students who excel in their respective subject matter.

In the Writing Center, tutors help students with such problems as understanding the assignment’s instructions, thesis statements, paper organization, sentence structures, English as a second language/ESL writing, MLA formats, and many other elements in writing.

Kaitlyn Dillard, junior English major with a minor in communication, who works at the writing center, said many students have a misconception about what tutors are supposed to do.

“Students expect us to proofread, ” Dillard said. “However that is not one of the things we offer at the Writing Center. Instead, we ask questions to better understand what they feel insecure about in their writing and improve on those elements.”

The USAO Writing Center is open 80 hours a week this spring .

The Math and Science Center is open 70 hours a week. With math being one of the highest requested subjects of tutoring, several math tutor are assigned during the day. The center also has a list of the availability and subjects for all of the tutors.