Brewer’s Birdies Lead the Team

Jax+Brewers+teammates+and+coach+watch+as+he+tees+off+at+Winter+Creek+Golf+Course+in+Blanchard%2C+OK.+

Emily Loughridge

Jax Brewer’s teammates and coach watch as he tees off at Winter Creek Golf Course in Blanchard, OK.

Caleb Smith, Contributing Writer

The Drover’s men’s golf team wrapped up their fall season with the Jerry Hrncair Invitational in Duncan, OK. The tournament was held in the beautiful hills of southwestern Oklahoma at the Territory Golf Club (7110 yards, Par 72). The Hrncair was USAO’s men’s golf first ever NCAA Division II tournament. In a field of 11 teams, the Drovers fought to edge out one Division II team. USAO’s men were 26 strokes behind Sooner Athletic Conference foe Wayland Baptist University. The men finished with a 9th place finish with scores of 308, 295, and 297 to total 900 (+36).

Jax Brewer once again lead the squad, and over three rounds Brewer scored 13 birdies. Brewer tied for an 18th place finish with scores of 77, 72, and 72 to total 221 (+5). Coming in with a tied 32nd place finish with a salty second round of one under par was sophomore Luke O’Dell. He shot 79, 71, and 76 to total 226 (+10). Conner Cryer once again kept his end of the bargain as a freshman with another set of impressive numbers. Cryer had a tied 40th finish by shooting 78, 75, and 74 to total 228 (+12). The Swiss legend that is Luca Gisler put up quite the effort as he couldn’t find the birdies, however he dropped 33 pars out of 54 holes. This accomplished his rounds of 78, 80, and 74 to total 232 (+16). Junior Tate Trotter rounded out the five-man team scores with his tied 58th place finish scoring 75, 77, and 84 to total 236 (+20). 

For the three individuals senior Grant Murphey is out front with a tied 44th place finish thanks to his stellar final round. Murphey capped off his great fall season of rounds of 79, 73, and 72 to total 224 (+13). Senior Caleb Smith played valiantly shooting 74, 75, and 81 to total 230 (+15) earing a tied 48th finish. Freshman Jaeden Ellis did his thing to pull off the tied 50th finish shooting 73, 77, and 81 to total 231 (+15).  

The Drover’s men’s golf team will return in the spring season, which begins February 2023. They will look to start the season off hot in pursuit of a national tournament bid.

Caleb Smith is a fourth-year Biology major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.