Editor’s Note – Sept. 26, 2022

Emily+Loughridge%2C+managing+editor%2C+excitedly+shares+about+an+upcoming+Trend+sponsored+event.+

Mary-Grace McNutt

Emily Loughridge, managing editor, excitedly shares about an upcoming Trend sponsored event.

Emily Loughridge, Managing Editor

As the air turns cooler and October draws nearer, the Trend has a very exciting announcement! The Trend and USAO’s Communication department are sponsoring “Opal on the Oval” October 24th at 7pm! The event is an outside movie night named after out owl, Opal. For those who were not here this summer for the announcement our owl was named after the Trend’s very first editor Opal. We think this is a unique way to link the past and present together.

For our event, the Trend has selected a student-produced movie from 2008 called “Broken Silence”. This movie is a spoof of “Silence of the Lambs” and was coordinated by David Duncan, instructor of Digital Media Technology, and Dr. J.C. Casey, professor of Communications. Duncan made his way back to the Communication department this fall, and I am sure that we can expect many similar projects in the future from Duncan and his classes. As we draw closer to October 24th, the Trend will start posting more details about this event so keep your eyes open!

In other Trend news, Gary Jackson will publish his first article for this academic year. Jackson covered a local business who is very fond of games, including D&D. Hannah Dudleson’s second piece will hit the front page this week as well. News of the three programs being suspended has captured the attention of many students across campus. Dudleson talked with the President to get an inside view of this monumental decision.

As we move farther into this trimester, I want to remind everyone that if you want to be involved with the Trend you can! You can share an idea or issue you’re passionate about, lend us your photography skills, or put a pen to paper yourself and publish an article. Our office door at Davis Hall 117 is often open, or you can email us at trend@usao.edu. If you want to see what the Trend is all about then check out our updated website trend.usao.edu. Our website now proudly boasts our new masthead as well, which you can find at the top of the website. Finally, don’t forget that you can interact and see articles on our Instagram @thetrendusao too!

As always, the Trend is here to educate, connect, and inspire USAO’s campus and you can be a part of that mission too! Our next Writer Meeting is Wednesday, September 28th, in the Nash Library Music Pocket at 4pm. We would love to see you there!

Emily Loughridge is a second-year Communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.