The Bookstore on the Corner

At+the+Bookstore+on+the+Corner+the+shelves+are+stacked+high+with+books+of+all+genres.+

Mary-Grace McNutt

At the “Bookstore on the Corner” the shelves are stacked high with books of all genres.

Mary-Grace McNutt, Senior Writer

There is a small shop located on the corner of 401 West Chickasha Ave where you can take a walk into a living bookstore. 

The shop itself has been there for over 25 years with a few different name changes, but now stands as “The Bookstore on the Corner.” 

The bookstore has a plethora of genres and authors, with three rooms filled to the brim with books. It is truly a breathtaking sight for book lovers. With most of the used books starting around two dollars, it’s a real bargain for your money. However, you can also find new books there as well. 

Owned and operated by Kaaren Brand, she makes it a point to know all of her customers on a personal level. 

“There are people that come in every week and I get to know their names and we know each other. I have a hard time thinking of another business where the owner knows you,” said Brand. 

Kaaren Brand never planned on running a bookstore, she actually went to school for elementary education and so she did not have any experience in bookstores. 

“There are some places in the world where you are just like this is home. I loved it, I fell in love with the store.” 

The store started out in Duncan, with three other locations in smaller towns, but as time went on, “The Bookstore on the Corner” was the only one to survive. 

“Sadly, this is something that is dying out, nowadays anybody can go online and order a book, but being absorbed by books, that is a whole different experience,” said Brand. 

One of her favorite parts about being a bookseller is seeing all the people who come in, and how their faces will light up when they find a book they really want to read. 

“The Bookstore on the Corner” is located at 401 West Chickasha Ave and is open from 10 am- 5 pm from Tuesday through Saturday. 

If you have never been to the Store, I highly recommend it. It is not only a great place to get books but also a great experience. We students need to experience our city and all it’s fun amenities. From the lovely owner to the hundreds of books, you should definitely check this place out. 

Mary-Grace McNutt is a second-year Communication major at the University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma.